We have ordered, received, and assembled new hardware to replace the aging Echo and Fresco servers. Echo and Fresco are our two oldest servers that are still online and, as such, they are the two that are getting upgraded first. This upgrade, while substantial, will require account transfers from the old hardware to the new. For those of you using our DNS the impact should be minimal resulting in a short period of propagation and possibly requiring you to update your email clients to reflect the new server information. The transfer process will begin no earlier than Friday, April 26th, 2013 at 8 PM ET.
We will be leaving the old servers online for at least 7 days after all transfers are completed to ensure DNS has time to update/propagate. Anybody not using our DNS will need to manually update their DNS provider with the new IP address information once the transfer process is completed. We do not plan on purging data from the old servers immediately after taking them offline just in case this post and our emails are missed and DNS isn't updated for a site.
The new hardware is running dual hex-core processors with Hyper Threading, 64GB DDR3 RAM, and RAID10 SAS storage that is Read/Write cached by a RAID1 SSD array. We are also evaluating moving to BetterLinux from CloudLinux which should allow all accounts to perform tasks more quickly while still balancing usage for all users to keep things fast and stable.
We are going to do our best to ensure the impact from this move is as small as possible, however, if you have any questions feel free to let us know.
- Monday, April 29: Transfers to the new server have not started yet. An additional email notice will be sent before we begin.
- Friday, May 3: Transfers will likely commence this evening, and continue this weekend if reqired. An email notice will be sent to you before your account is moved.
- Friday, May 3: Transfers from echo and fresco have begun and emails have been sent to affected accounts.
- All transfers have been completed.
- The echo and fresco servers will be retired no later than Wednesday, May 15, 2013.