MDDHosting Forums

What is the maximum process limit?

rag_gupta

We run CloudLinux which isolates each account into it's own "bubble" of resources. This isolation helps prevent your account from being affected by the use or misuse of others and vice versa. CloudLinux has three primary attributes: CPU Usage, Memory Usage, and Entry Processes. I'll do my best to explain each, however, do let us know if you need any clarification at all. Keep in mind that we monitor all of the attributes for over-usage and/or abuse and generally we'll contact you if there is an issue.

CPU Usage
========
CloudLinux tracks the CPU Usage of each account individually and imposes a limit which varies based upon the type of service. Shared and Reseller accounts are limited to a single CPU Core per cPanel account while Semi-Dedicated accounts are limited to two full CPU Cores per cPanel account. Only dynamic processes (php, perl, etc) are counted against your CPU Usage. Serving static content does not count against your CPU Usage (.html, .js, .png, .gif, etc).

It is absolutely normal for your CPU Usage to bounce from 0% all the way up to 100% and anywhere in between. Many become concerned when they log in and see CPU at 100%, but so long as the CPU Usage doesn't stay at 100% or extended periods of time, it's nothing to be concerned about. One simple way to look at it, is that the system will always use as much CPU as it possibly can to complete it's tasks as quickly as possible.

Memory Usage
========
CloudLinux also tracks the Memory (or RAM) usage of each account individually. We've chosen not to take advantage of this limit and, as such, have set the limit on all services to 12 GB of memory. You will experience other issues long before you reach 12 GB of memory usage. This statistic is displayed in your cPanel for informational purposes only.

Entry Processes
========
This is likely the most confusing attribute of CloudLinux for most of our customers. This statistic simply tracks how many new parent processes are spawned under your username for the purpose of serving your content. This only includes your dynamic processes used for serving dynamic pages such as .php, .pl, .cgi, etc.

The limit for this attribute is 10 processes for any standard shared or reseller cPanel account, and 20 for any semi-dedicated level account. One thing to keep in mind is that this only counts the parent processes, and each parent process can start it's own child processes that are not counted against this limit.

Generally you will only hit the entry processes limit under a couple of situations:
1. Your site is so busy that you have no CPU available for an extended period of time causing processes to queue up. This is extremely uncommon.
2. Your site is so resource intensive that you trigger #1, even with only a few visitors at a time. This, as well, is extremely uncommon.

[b]Another important thing to consider is the difference in hardware specifications between servers and hosts. A high power server can run your processes more quickly which means your site will need less concurrent processes. Likewise, a server or host with lower end hardware will not finish your processes as quickly resulting in more processes building up which would ultimately require a high concurrent process limit for your site to function.[/b] Edited by Scott S
Bold for emphasis

Since I run CMS based sites and all of them use single db connection in each php instance. 20 max process limit means that even mysql connections are limited to 20 for me.

This depends on how your scripts are coded. It is very common, especially with poorly designed plugins, for a single process/request to run multiple database connections.

I think semi-dedicated plan is for CPU intensive applications and for non cms based sites(like Joomla,Drupal, Phpbb etc).

Our semi-dedicated platform is for anyone outgrowing their regular shared plan. It is fine for CMS sites, forums, blogs, etc. A large number of our semi-dedicated customers are running scripts like these.

Whenever a visitor access my site, support index.php is run, then do you consider each execution as separate process? Technically it is single Apache running multiple threads.

Yes. One request would typically be a single process as far as CloudLinux is concerned. It is possible that it spawns other processes as well, but that is rare (think of PHP's system() call, for example). Once the request is finished and the response is sent to the browser, the process is finished and not counting against you. Given that most page loads should be anywhere from .1 to .5 of a second (depending on your scripts and plugins), and that static pages don't count against your limit, you can easily handle lots of traffic.

• 1 month later...

Hi Scott,

I noticed the "Resource Usage" icon in cPanel which shows CloudLinux stats is no longer visible.

I checked all of my reseller accounts and I see the CL version on the top right in WHM, but the icon is no longer showing in any of the cPanel accounts. :mellow:

Was this done deliberately? Thanks for your time.

We are currently considering a new system to replace CloudLinux which does not offer this feature. Also, there has been a significant increase in support required due to confusion about the limits, meaning of the statistics, and the actual usage of an account.