MDDHosting Forums

Lightspeed Web server

Blind Bandit

So it seems many feel Light speed is very good. It definitely seems to be getting better and better. Some claim its better than Apache. So I'm curious dose anyone have any first experience with it? The price seems to be pretty steep but if the performance is the real deal maybe it is worth it?

So it seems many feel Light speed is very good. It definitely seems to be getting better and better. Some claim its better than Apache. So I'm curious dose anyone have any first experience with it? The price seems to be pretty steep but if the performance is the real deal maybe it is worth it?

Litespeed vs Apache *out of the box* is much faster however if you configure Apache correctly Litespeed doesn't really have much of an advantage in my experience and I've actually seen Apache servers out-perform Litespeed servers.

Litespeed vs Apache *out of the box* is much faster however if you configure Apache correctly Litespeed doesn't really have much of an advantage in my experience and I've actually seen Apache servers out-perform Litespeed servers.

Interesting. Thats part of the reason I was curious as Lightspeed is pretty expensive.

There have also been claims of reduced load on servers using lightspeed. But that was more subjective then anything.

Interesting. Thats part of the reason I was curious as Lightspeed is pretty expensive.

There have also been claims of reduced load on servers using lightspeed. But that was more subjective then anything.

You're just comparing two flavors of a similar product really, everything has it's strong and weak points such as a Ford Explorer vs a Dodge Durango - they both basically do the same thing but one may be a little better at something than the other and vice versa.

Ultimately as long as your pages load quickly and you don't receive any extraneous errors or experience any weird issues I think it's more of the web hosting provider's choice.

It's like people who say a Quad Core shared server is better than a Dual Core shared server - that may be if both servers have the same amount of accounts on them but chances are the host is going to put more clients on a Quad Core server than the Dual Core counterpart so it's not really any better, or any worse - just different.

Do you have apache configured on your servers in the best way as you mentioned above?

We spend about a week tweaking everything after a server is first brought online for maximum performance and then we make minor adjustments as necessary depending on the clientbase that is on the servers and the average types of requests that are served over a 24 hour period.

It's just about as good as it's going to get and in comparison the licensing costs of LiteSpeed simply are not worth it.