MDDHosting Forums

Considering your basic shared plan

shpor

I've been with my current host for over 10 years. Unfortunately, they are putting a priority on growing the business and not keeping up with support for existing clients. Staying out of loyalty for previous years of good service is no longer making sense, so I feel a need to move on.

In my search for a new host I started by comparing what my current host has been offering with what is typical for shared hosting, and double-checking to be sure that shared hosting is still sufficient for my needs.

I'm well within the specs on disk usage and bandwidth for your basic shared hosting plan. But I want to double check on settings for memory and cloud linux.

When cloud linux was first applied to my server I was having a few memory errors. I was able to resolve that by blocking a few problematic user agents in htaccess. (The "Cannot allocate memory" messages appeared to be primarily associated with people trying to download my entire site at once and rarely happen anymore. The max is consistently below 240M.)

In my efforts to find what are typical settings it seems that those at my existing host are half the virtual memory recommendations for cloud linux which evidently is 1g, correct? Also when I view the output from phpinfo, I see memory_limit is 64M. As far as I know that has never posed a problem and I do keep a close eye on error logs, but I just wanted to check what your limits are.

Also, will I be able to use .htaccess files on a shared server? (rewrite rules, redirects, setenvif, etc.)

Do you allow access to the home directory, above web root? (for paypal credential files, etc.)

We don't have hard-set limits for RAM in CloudLinux - they're set to 12GB which is effectively unlimited. We used to set it to 0 (which is actually unlimited) but we'd have people opening tickets saying "I've used 300 MB of 0 MB! What is wrong?!?!" so it is easier to simply set a limit of 12GB that everybody will always be under.

We do allow .htaccess, mod_rewrite, etc.

As far as accessing above your web root - yes. You're welcome to put anything you wish to access via your scripts but not to be accessed publicly above the web root.

OK thanks. I just signed up. Instant activation on a Sunday morning. Awesome!

One more question on limits: If you hit entry processes limit (error 508?) how long would that error appear for subsequent visitors?

I hope these questions are not too much cause for concern on your end. The entry processes are generally just 1 or 2 on my account. I just like to know what my visitors might be encountering on those rare occasions the max might be reached.

Thanks again for the quick smooth setup :)

Honestly, only one or two people have hit the entry process limits in the last couple of years - but processes get queued up to a certain point before they start to fail with that error. Generally if you get that issue my advice would be to enable good static caching (static files do not count against your processes or your CPU).

Even if it's just a temporary change of your landing page from a dynamic .php to a static copy of that same page in .html