MDDHosting Forums

Tremendously Bad Luck, Two Hdd Failures In A Raid5 Array

Michael D.

Well, I had gone nearly 14 years without ever having a HDD fail on me, not once ever.

I had a HDD fail on me about 4 months ago so I decided to go ahead and not risk anything - and go for Raid5 with three brand new HDDs. Well 4 months later I have one HDD drive fail and I send it off under warranty for free to get a replacement drive, no big deal my data is safe with Raid5 what are the chances of two drives failing right?

Well I put the new drive in tonight and I'm getting ready to rebuild my Raid5 array when my raid controller notifies that yet another drive has failed. I ran the diagnostics and the drive is in fact failing.

Needless to say I had to throw in an extra drive I had to get back up and operational however I have lost all of the data that was stored on the array, I put quite a bit on it due to the redundancy of Raid5 and the fact that I had never personally had a HDD failure until only a few months ago.

I checked the drives and the highest temps they had *ever* seen was 40c which is good for HDDs. They are mounted right in front of a fan in the front of the system that pushes cool air across them.

This is not anything that affects MDDHosting in any way, but I felt the need to rant and get some of this off of my chest.

Ugggh, data loss sucks!

Hope it was not too important of info.

Wow 2 TB and I still have not been able to fill up my 200gb hard drive I got a long time ago.

geeks.com does have a TB hard drive on sale I am thinking about buying.

Heh, in total I've lost 2tb of actual data. Ugghhhhh

wow thats wow I can not even imagine that much.

I am wondering what you had that would take up that much.

Family photos and videos, various backups for different servers and systems, compiled versions and source to various programs I have written among many many other things.

Family photos and videos, various backups for different servers and systems, compiled versions and source to various programs I have written among many many other things.

Mike its a bummer you had such bad luck. *hugs*

I've had an HDD fail and it sucked to put it lightly.

Good luck and I hope you get better luck soon.

I know sometimes it feels like bad luck just sticks to you.