MDDHosting Forums

php.ini questions

skunkbad

I've purchased a basic shared hosting account today, and have been setting it up in the last couple of hours. I have a php.ini file in my public_html directory, and the contents of it is simply:

[PHP]
date.timezone = America/Los_Angeles

Normally this prevents a warning from PHP, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to work for me on my new account. Do I need to do something different? Here's the warning:

An error occurred in script '/home/brianswe/public_html/application/views/template_content.php' on line 66:
<br />date() [<a href='function.date'>function.date</a>]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead

I'd also normally turn on zlib.output_compression in the php.ini, but I'm guessing that if the date.timezone setting isn't working, then this won't either.

What do I need to do?

I've purchased a basic shared hosting account today, and have been setting it up in the last couple of hours. I have a php.ini file in my public_html directory, and the contents of it is simply:

[PHP]
date.timezone = America/Los_Angeles

Normally this prevents a warning from PHP, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to work for me on my new account. Do I need to do something different? Here's the warning:

An error occurred in script '/home/brianswe/public_html/application/views/template_content.php' on line 66:
<br />date() [<a href='function.date'>function.date</a>]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead

I'd also normally turn on zlib.output_compression in the php.ini, but I'm guessing that if the date.timezone setting isn't working, then this won't either.

What do I need to do?

We don't support php.ini and you have to make your PHP settings changes in your .htaccess file - we also support iniset(). As for compression - we do have GZIP compression on by default if that is what you are trying to achieve.