MDDHosting Forums

Zikula or ocPortal?

sremick

Anyone familiar with both Zikula (new rewrite of what had been Postnuke) and ocPortal that they can compare the two? Advantages/disadvantages of each? I had already leaned towards Zikula over Drupal and Joomla, but ocPortal is a new contender.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...
Anyone familiar with both Zikula (new rewrite of what had been Postnuke) and ocPortal that they can compare the two? Advantages/disadvantages of each? I had already leaned towards Zikula over Drupal and Joomla, but ocPortal is a new contender.

Thanks!

I used to use PostNuke. I have not used Zikula. I have no experience with ocPortal.

Compared to the PostNuke days of old, Zikula's forums are not even a shadow of their former PostNuke self. Personally, I do not consider it to be a good sign. I think that PostNuke's/Zikula's leadership team led the project off a cliff, to be quite honest with you - and nowhere is that more obvious than in the Zikula forums. In a nutshell, it's like the PostNuke community-at-large, the PostNuke following, if you will, have evaporated.

I personally use Joomla. I have no experience with ocPortal. I can say I did not like Zikula that much. It was not as customizable. From what I have learned portals are quite different than CMS. Ive tried just about all the CMS's, well the free ones anyways. I did like dotnetnuke but thats a windows based CMS and not really free. I mean it has a free version but most software with free versions well the free versions are there just to give you a taste. I would push you towards Joomla but I have learned that when it comes to CMS type software it really is all about personal taste and knowledge. Some are easier to use but harder to really customize and others have a strong learning curve harder to use but much more customizable. If you end up with Joomla shoot me an email and check out my site. Either way keep us informed on here. I am going to go check out ocPortal just to see what its about.

• 3 weeks later...
I used to use PostNuke. I have not used Zikula. I have no experience with ocPortal.

Compared to the PostNuke days of old, Zikula's forums are not even a shadow of their former PostNuke self. Personally, I do not consider it to be a good sign. I think that PostNuke's/Zikula's leadership team led the project off a cliff, to be quite honest with you - and nowhere is that more obvious than in the Zikula forums. In a nutshell, it's like the PostNuke community-at-large, the PostNuke following, if you will, have evaporated.

A real shame about Zikula. I really used to like Postnuke a lot... I'm sad to see that it has gone downhill and fizzled. I would've hoped a better future for it and to have seen it improve.

Joomla is nice looking but last I knew they used some pretty horrid HTML behind the scenes displaying it. Maybe that was just Mambo though.