MDDHosting Forums

PHP Selector available now! Choose from 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, or 5.5!

You can now, as of this very moment, select which version of PHP you are running, what PHP modules that version has, and even specify the common PHP settings all right from your cPanel via the "Select PHP Version" icon! The versions currently available are 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5.

We sent you an email a few hours ago giving you notice about a maintenance window on October 8th for PHP upgrades. This maintenance has been canceled due to this new module.

Do understand that changing this setting can cause issues for your sites - if you do change this setting make sure that your site works properly. Your account will use the default PHP settings until you customize them via the "Select PHP Version" icon in your control panel.

Thank you,

Native is what the server was running before we installed this module. Understand that our native installation is fully configured while the other versions are not *yet* configured fully - you can adjust them as needed from the selector to get any modules you need and to change any settings you need to change to make a different version work for your site.

Hello Mike as you know I don't fully understand the workings of cPanel and can sometimes push wrong buttons. :ph34r:

Can I ask a couple of questions that are probably simply answered, but you know me. :rolleyes:

#1 At the moment I notice I'm on PHP version 5.3.22 what is the benefit changing ?

#2 My websites are all working fine on 5.3.22 so would you recommend I change or just leave things as they are.

Answers in simple non technical terms appreciated.

Thank You.

Hello Mike as you know I don't fully understand the workings of cPanel and can sometimes push wrong buttons. :ph34r:

Can I ask a couple of questions that are probably simply answered, but you know me. :rolleyes:

#1 At the moment I notice I'm on PHP version 5.3.22 what is the benefit changing ?

#2 My websites are all working fine on 5.3.22 so would you recommend I change or just leave things as they are.

Answers in simple non technical terms appreciated.

Thank You.

Ditto on Sarislsop's questions. I've been getting concerned questions since last night from the client websites I service. The best I can do is tell them that upgrading is always a good thing as it adds functionality and fixes to the previous version.

My concern is:

1. If Wordpress is 3.6.1 -> Should I go with PHP 5.5 as it most likely is the best choice.

2. If I choose PHP 5.5 & things go wonky... can I revert back to the original PHP version that worked?

Thanks for any insight the MDD team might have.

5.3.27 is the latest - if you choose "5.3" instead of "native" you will be on the latest version. So long as everything works for you - you're good. You can try 5.4 which is a little faster but not all scripts are compatible with it. If you switch to it - test your site to make sure everything works.

Changing to the "5.3" option wouldn't be a bad idea.

1. If Wordpress is 3.6.1 -> Should I go with PHP 5.5 as it most likely is the best choice.

It just depends on what version of PHP WordPress supports. WordPress would be the best ones to answer this but personally I'd stick to no newer than 5.4 unless you have a specific reason for wanting 5.5. That said - if you try 5.5, make sure all aspects of your site work.

2. If I choose PHP 5.5 & things go wonky... can I revert back to the original PHP version that worked?

In exactly the same way you chose 5.5, yes.

5.3.27 is the latest - if you choose "5.3" instead of "native" you will be on the latest version. So long as everything works for you - you're good. You can try 5.4 which is a little faster but not all scripts are compatible with it. If you switch to it - test your site to make sure everything works.

Changing to the "5.3" option wouldn't be a bad idea.

It just depends on what version of PHP WordPress supports. WordPress would be the best ones to answer this but personally I'd stick to no newer than 5.4 unless you have a specific reason for wanting 5.5. That said - if you try 5.5, make sure all aspects of your site work.

In exactly the same way you chose 5.5, yes.

Thank you Leah, I didn't think of asking about reverting back if it went wrong and Mikes answer gave me the confidence to try.

Thank you Mike, I have changed to 5.4 (well I think I have) and all seems to working fine. The reason I say "Think" is because it says 5.4 When I go back to "Select PHP Version" and my software is telling me it's now running on 5.4.19 But my cPanel says it is now on 5.3.22 :unsure:

"It just depends on what version of PHP WordPress supports. WordPress would be the best ones to answer this but personally I'd stick to no newer than 5.4 unless you have a specific reason for wanting 5.5. That said - if you try 5.5, make sure all aspects of your site work."

Thanks for the advice Mike! I would have just went with 5.5. I will proceed cautiously.

"Understand that our native installation is fully configured"

Can I get the configuration details? I've switched to 5.5 and both my WP sites and SMF forum seem to be functioning properly, but I'm not very sure about which modules to enable/disable.

"Understand that our native installation is fully configured"

Can I get the configuration details? I've switched to 5.5 and both my WP sites and SMF forum seem to be functioning properly, but I'm not very sure about which modules to enable/disable.

phpinfo.php:

That said - the secondary installations are configured similarly to our native installation now. It just took some time to do it. :)