MDDHosting Forums

Network Solutions being DDoS'd -- Network Solutions DNS services affected [Our DNS is fine]

Scott

Hello Everyone,

While it isn't often that we point out issues other providers are having, we felt it was important to mention this as it may be effecting your service with us. Network Solutions, a large domain name registrar, is currently being DDoS'd, causing downtime and outages for their website, web hosting, and DNS services. Unfortunately, this means that anyone who has registered their domain name with them, or who is using their DNS service, may be offline until Network Solutions resolves this issue.

Details are currently scarce, but here is the info we have:
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/07/17/168223/network-solutions-hit-with-ddos
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8765747

We've had a couple of customers report issues as a result of this. If you're using Network Solutions nameservers we suggest updating them to our nameservers: http://www.mddhosting.com/support/knowledgebase/113/What-nameservers-should-I-use.html

If your site is offline, please contact us and we can help you confirm if this is being caused by this issue.

I have an un-launched domain with them on MDDHosting. It's opening fine.

If you're not using their DNS, that might explain it. If you are, it's possible that your DNS cluster (I assume they have more than one) isn't effected or that your DNS information is still cached somewhere between your computer and their DNS.

Seems they're back up according to their facebook page:

"The recent DDOS attack affecting some customers has now been mitigated. Customer websites should be resolving normally, and you should be able to readily access the Network Solutions site."

I've got a client with two domains registered to them (and connected to their DNS) and right now the site is up and responsive.

They also finally posted an update on their twitter account, however the problem was never announced there in the first place. I don't really use facebook so the only reason I knew about this was from the MDDHosting twitter, so thanks for the announcment guys I sincerly appreciate it.

Seems they're back up according to their facebook page:

"The recent DDOS attack affecting some customers has now been mitigated. Customer websites should be resolving normally, and you should be able to readily access the Network Solutions site."

It's good to hear they got this under control. Hopefully it stays resolved and doesn't crop back up like these attacks can tend to do.

Spoke too soon. There's been a lot of people reporting still being down, so I checked my site on Down for Everyone Or Just Me and it's reporting the site is down. I guess I must be running off a cache even though I cleared everything.

So either it was never up, or it's down again.

Spoke too soon. There's been a lot of people reporting still being down, so I checked my site on Down for Everyone Or Just Me and it's reporting the site is down. I guess I must be running off a cache even though I cleared everything.

So either it was never up, or it's down again.

Unfortunately, that is the nature of DDoS issues. You mitigate, the attacker adapts, you mitigate again, and so on. DNS caching can help when the only part that is down is your DNS servers, but that eventually runs out too if the attack is ongoing. If they are online again, get a copy of your DNS records so you can set them up with another DNS server and get everything back up and running.

Unfortunately, that is the nature of DDoS issues. You mitigate, the attacker adapts, you mitigate again, and so on. DNS caching can help when the only part that is down is your DNS servers, but that eventually runs out too if the attack is ongoing. If they are online again, get a copy of your DNS records so you can set them up with another DNS server and get everything back up and running.

By another DNS server, do you mean with another DNS provider?

Sure, there are dedicated DNS providers out there. For many of our customers, that is probbably overkill, but it is an option.

We also provide DNS servers with our service. The control panel handles configuring most things, and has tools for you to set custom records. All you have to do is set our nameservers with your domain registrar, and of course, set any custom DNS records in our control panel.