• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 ithelpme

ithelpme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

1. This is unreal.. really a cloud server that can not be rolled back while you figure out what is wrong? Are you kidding me?

2. It is not OK that you have no eta. I have client sites on here funneling thousands of dollars of leads to the email hosted on here. 

3. I look unprofessional having recommended your server over oh lets say RACKSPACE who would never do a  KERNEL update on a live server

I sort of agree with Jacqui.  I'm a IT professional in the corporate world and Hardware Failure should really be a thing of the past with cloud servers and redundancy.  In our organization, we have redundant servers so if 1 server fail, all software and services are moved to another server without any interaction.  Once the failure occurs, I'm alerted of the failure and fix the hardware issue but I don't need to worry about services since it has been moved or migrated to another server already.  My job has become stress free because of this design.  How come MDD hosting doesn't have this type of system in place?  Also, we have a test development environment in which we duplicate the existing production environment and before any major update, we perform it in the test environment before production.  If these two things are adopted by MDDHosting, I believe the downtime could have been avoided or at the very least, minimized to several minutes.

#42 MikeDVB

MikeDVB

Forum Administrator

• Staff Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

I sort of agree with Jacqui.  I'm a IT professional in the corporate world and Hardware Failure should really be a thing of the past with cloud servers and redundancy.

We're moving in that direction but we're still too small to have the capital on-hand to buy the very expensive equipment it takes to do a cloud right.

I wish we could now and it's a matter of time but we're not there yet.

In our organization, we have redundant servers so if 1 server fail, all software and services are moved to another server without any interaction.  Once the failure occurs, I'm alerted of the failure and fix the hardware issue but I don't need to worry about services since it has been moved or migrated to another server already.  My job has become stress free because of this design.  How come MDD hosting doesn't have this type of system in place?

cPanel in and of itself doesn't support that functionality and we're not to the point of being able to invest into a larger cloud infrastructure.

Also, we have a test development environment in which we duplicate the existing production environment and before any major update, we perform it in the test environment before production.  If these two things are adopted by MDDHosting, I believe the downtime could have been avoided or at the very least, minimized to several minutes.

There is no way our test environment would know to replicate a processor failing - the update would have been successful and taken less than 5 minutes as it did on all other servers.

The issue wasn't the software update, the issue was that a processor in the server completely failed.
Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC - Providing Hosting since 2007
Scalable shared hosting plans in the cloud! Check them out!
Highly Available Cloud Shared, Reseller, and VPS
http://www.mddhosting.com/

#43 ithelpme

ithelpme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

We're moving in that direction but we're still too small to have the capital on-hand to buy the very expensive equipment it takes to do a cloud right.

I wish we could now and it's a matter of time but we're not there yet.

cPanel in and of itself doesn't support that functionality and we're not to the point of being able to invest into a larger cloud infrastructure.

There is no way our test environment would know to replicate a processor failing - the update would have been successful and taken less than 5 minutes as it did on all other servers.

The issue wasn't the software update, the issue was that a processor in the server completely failed.

Thank you for being forthcoming and forthright.  Although this situation is unfortunate, I have to say that MDDHosting is really a great hosting company compared to the other guys. This incident seems to be an exception to the norm rather than occurring every week like the other guys.  It is this fact that I will continue to use MDD.

#44 T0M

T0M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

To Mike, Scott and the crew at MDDHosting, thanks for the hard work during this unfortunate event.  I'm sure you did what was required as fast as possible.  As Gump said - It happens.

I have to mention that there are cloud  providers out there that offer redundancy for mission critical applications, but you will pay for it.

#45 MikeDVB

MikeDVB

Forum Administrator

• Staff Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

I have to mention that there are cloud  providers out there that offer redundancy for mission critical applications, but you will pay for it.

This is true and once we are able to offer such services the prices will likely be substantially higher than our current offerings as well. At the end of the day the more it costs us to operate a service the more we have to charge for it.

It's something we have been looking forward to/planning on though. When we do it, we'll likely do it from a different location to give our customers a choice of locations at that point as well.
Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC - Providing Hosting since 2007
Scalable shared hosting plans in the cloud! Check them out!
Highly Available Cloud Shared, Reseller, and VPS
http://www.mddhosting.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users