MDDHosting Forums

PHP 5.3 will become the default version within the next 60 days.

Michael D.

Hello,

For a long time we've had PHP 5.2.X the default version and 5.3.X the optional version. More and more scripts require PHP 5.3.X+ to function properly and, as such, a lot of our customers are having to take an extra step to install newer scripts.

We're still, for at least the short foreseeable future, going to have PHP 5.2.X available for those that need it, however, a special handler line will need to be added to the .htaccess file to stay on PHP 5.2. Once we're ready - we'll update this thread (as well as email all customers) and let you know what needs to be done to stay on PHP 5.2 if you wish. We will also be retaining the current php53 handler so that anybody currently on PHP5.3 will not have to do anything as a result of this change.

Bear in mind that with such a major version change, there is the possibility that there may be 5 to 20 minutes where PHP won't function as expected, however, we are testing and working to reduce or eliminate this window if time and, in the event that we cannot remove it entirely, will be sure to perform this maintenance during an off-peak time such as a weekend night and will provide notice to allow you to plan.

If you have any questions at all, by all means feel free to respond to this thread as we'll be happy to address them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

After further research we've decided to discontinue PHP 5.2 entirely in lieu of PHP 5.3. PHP 5.2 has officially been discontinued by PHP for over a year at this point and is no longer being patched/updated/maintained/expanded. You are welcome to read more on this, if you wish, directly at php.net : http://www.php.net/archive/2010.php#id2010-12-16-1

The PHP development team would like to announce the immediate availability of PHP 5.2.16. This release marks the end of support for PHP 5.2. All users of PHP 5.2 are encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.3.

If you are using software that requires PHP 5.2 and is not compatible with PHP 5.3, I would strongly suggest getting with the software developer as soon as possible to update your software. We will hold off on making any changes for two weeks so you can update your scripts, but after that the change will happen without additional notice, most likely within 30 days from this notice.

Additionally, you can test your site on PHP 5.3 if you wish before the change-over happens by using the directions found here:

http://www.mddhosting.com/support/knowledgebase/114/How-do-I-choose-PHP-52-or-PHP-53.html

On a side-note, we are aware that there was a typo in the signature of the message we just sent out to everybody concerning this update. We chose not to send a duplicate message to fix the signature as the message being conveyed wasn't affected.

Will the change to PHP 5.3 have any effect on WordPress sites?

Only if you're running outdated versions, which isn't advised: http://forums.mddhos...pts-up-to-date/

In short, unless you've specifically chosen to stay on a very old version of WordPress, you won't have any issues.

Michael, when I followed your instructions to test my site under php 5.3 by adding this to my .htaccess file:

AddType application/x-httpd-php53 .php

I got this:

Zend Optimizer not installed

This file was encoded by the Zend Guard. In order to run it, please install the Zend Optimizer (available without charge), version 3.0.0 or later.

Seeing this message instead of the website you expected?

This means that this webserver is not configured correctly. In order to view this website properly, please contact the website's system administrator/webmaster with the following message:

The component "Zend Optimizer" is not installed on the Web Server and therefore cannot service encoded files. Please download and install the Zend Optimizer (available without charge) on the Web Server.

Note: Zend Technologies cannot resolve issues related to this message appearing on websites not belonging to Zend Technologies.

Should I be worried? I think Sunshop is compatible with php 5.3 but would like to be 100% sure before the big changeover.

Zend Optimizer doesn't exist for PHP 5.3.

The product was renamed ZendGuard when it was released for PHP 5.3. However, ZendGuard cannot load files that were encoded for Zend Optimizer, and vice versa -- they're effectively two separate products. If you've got an application that was encoded for Zend Optimizer, you're stuck on PHP 5.2.

You'll need to get with "Sunshop" and have them provide you a version that is compatible with PHP 5.3.

The product was renamed ZendGuard when it was released for PHP 5.3. However, ZendGuard cannot load files that were encoded for Zend Optimizer, and vice versa -- they're effectively two separate products. If you've got an application that was encoded for Zend Optimizer, you're stuck on PHP 5.2.

You'll need to get with "Sunshop" and have them provide you a version that is compatible with PHP 5.3.

OK, they do have a version in ZendGuard format for php 5.3 and higher. If my developer upgrades my software now, before you switch the server over to 5.3, will that run properly? I guess I'm asking if php 5.3 and ZendGuard are already installed on my server.

Trying to figure out if I need to coordinate my upgrade with yours, or if my developer can do it ahead of time.

OK, they do have a version in ZendGuard format for php 5.3 and higher. If my developer upgrades my software now, before you switch the server over to 5.3, will that run properly? I guess I'm asking if php 5.3 and ZendGuard are already installed on my server.

You would need to choose PHP 5.3 (after which your current software will not work), then upload the new ZendGuard version of the software after which point it should work.

The alternative is to upload the new software (which won't work on 5.2 with the Optimizer instead of Guard) and then move to PHP 5.3. Either way - you're going to have at least a few minutes where your page doesn't work. I wish we could avoid that, however, this is due to Zend deciding to discontinue Optimizer on 5.2 and to begin Guard on 5.3.

ZendGuard is, indeed, available on our build of 5.3:

Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2012 Zend Technologies
   with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.0.7, Copyright (c) 2002-2011, by ionCube Ltd., and
   with Zend Guard Loader v3.3, Copyright (c) 1998-2010, by Zend Technologies

A few minutes of downtime is trivial...I just need to avoid being offline for hours or days. I don't understand "choose php 5.3." Is that done through cPanel using your linked Apache Handler instructions?

I would suggest opening a support ticket if you do not understand how to append the line to your .htaccess file.

• 1 month later...

Michael,

There seems to be the open source zend optimizer plus that even works with php 5.4. Will 5.4 be optionally available once you upgrade to PHP5.3?

There seems to be the open source zend optimizer plus that even works with php 5.4. Will 5.4 be optionally available once you upgrade to PHP5.3?

PHP 5.3 is currently available on all servers. PHP 5.4 will not be available immediately after PHP 5.2 is removed. A specific date for the deployment for PHP 5.4 has not yet been scheduled as we are still testing and planning the deployment.