• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 keco86

keco86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

I have a subdomain that I am redirecting to an IP address from another server. The files for this sub domain are on another server and I don't want to move them as it's SSL etc etc. Anyway....

I need to mask that IP address so that the sub domain shows NOT the IP address. I've read about htaccess etc etc but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks much.

#2 DanH

DanH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question completely, but do you mean you want, say, example.com to map to 1.2.3.4 and sub.example.com to map to a completely different IP address, say, 5.6.7.8?

You can add a separate DNS A record for sub.example.com using the "Simple DNS Zone Editor" in cPanel and have it map to another IP address that's unconnected to the server where example.com is hosted.

#3 Scott

Scott

MDDHosting Staff

• Staff Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Please open a support ticket on this matter.
Scott S - MDDHosting LLC - Providing Hosting since 2007
Scalable shared hosting plans in the cloud! Check them out!
Highly Available Cloud Shared, Reseller, and VPS
http://www.mddhosting.com/

#4 keco86

keco86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

So I did what you suggested Dan (thanks for the tip!) but the record didn't get added : (

I essentially understand what I have to do, I need to add a zone and apply it to the IP address I have. But it doesn't seem that I can do that here or at the domain level (GoDaddy). Both seem to say I need to do it at the other's end.

#5 DanH

DanH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Certainly take up Scott's offer to help via the ticket system, if you have not already done so. I described you what worked for me at another host when I had to add a subdomain to point to a mailing list host we use. But depending on your setup, it may be trickier.

#6 keco86

keco86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

Thanks. I did open a ticket and at first didn't get a useful answer but then was directed to the 'Advanced' DNS zone editor where the changes I made DID take effect.
I was also able to manage some duplicate records.

Hopefully this helps someone else. I added an A record using the Advanced DNS zone editor.

#7 balmerhevi

balmerhevi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:31 AM

try this, more about...Url Redirection

Balmer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ip address, mask, url, sub domain, forward, redirect

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users