MDDHosting Forums

Set main domain as a subdirectory in /public_html?

iansltx

Currently I have a WPMU install in the /public_html directory, which is accessible via the web at minesblog.com. However soon we'll be adding a Joomla install to the mix, which will for starters be available at oredigger.minesblog.com but will soon have its own domain (oredigger.net).

What I'm wondering is whether the default directory for the main domain cam be moved to a subdirectory of /public_html (/public_html/minesblog for example) for cleanliness' sake, particularly in light of the upcoming doman name.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Currently I have a WPMU install in the /public_html directory, which is accessible via the web at minesblog.com. However soon we'll be adding a Joomla install to the mix, which will for starters be available at oredigger.minesblog.com but will soon have its own domain (oredigger.net).

What I'm wondering is whether the default directory for the main domain cam be moved to a subdirectory of /public_html (/public_html/minesblog for example) for cleanliness' sake, particularly in light of the upcoming doman name.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm not sure of a real easy way to do this with cPanel as it likes to manage the directories for domains and addon domains. I was thinking a symlink might do it but that could end up causing problems since you would be putting a symlink to a parent directory in a subdirectory. (I could see cyclic redundancy happening).

As for the addon domain of oredigger.net my advice would be to go ahead and create it as an addon domain for oredigger.net (which will also create oredigger.minesblog.com) and it can be reached by the subdomain until the domain is pointed at the server.

I'll look into moving the home directory of the default account and see if I can work anything out for you on this, but I can't make any promises.