MDDHosting Forums

Lost and need some advice and hand holding.

Hello everyone.

Please forgive me i'm going to ask a lot of newb questions but I want to get all this sorted in my head before I start spending money on a forum. The more I read on the topic of hosts the more confused I get.

Questions -

What sort of hosting package should I be looking at for a brand new forum? I'm assuming I can get away with shared hosting?

Should location make a difference? I'm in the UK would it help to have a UK Host?

Is there any minimum Disk Space, Bandwidth etc I should be looking for?

Info -

Forum will be Vbulletin

Since i'm a newb at this i'm going to need good support

Money is a little tight so I want to start off for a little as possible

Please forgive me i'm going to ask a lot of newb questions but I want to get all this sorted in my head before I start spending money on a forum. The more I read on the topic of hosts the more confused I get.
No problem. It's better to ask questions and get answers than not and wonder.

Questions -

What sort of hosting package should I be looking at for a brand new forum? I'm assuming I can get away with shared hosting?

Should location make a difference? I'm in the UK would it help to have a UK Host?

Is there any minimum Disk Space, Bandwidth etc I should be looking for?

Honestly for a *new* site, the most basic regular shared hosting account would be a good starting point. It's $7.50/mo if you go monthly or $6.38/mo if you go annually ($76.50/year). You can always upgrade if you need more and being that we're cPanel based - if you ever were to decide to shift providers - it wouldn't be hard to find another cPanel provider. We are human and live in the real world so we realize that we're not necessarily the best solution for every person out there and ultimately you should do what you feel is best.

Info -

Forum will be Vbulletin

Since i'm a newb at this i'm going to need good support

Money is a little tight so I want to start off for a little as possible

One thing to keep in mind is that we cannot provide support for vBulletin itself - that's the job of the vBulletin support department and/or developers. What we do provide support for is the server and software that is provisioned with your account when it's created. You can see a good outline of what we do and do not support at http://www.mddhosting.com/supportscope.php

Hello if it helps I have been with MDD for about 6 months now and have been very happy with the service. I started my forum on the basic shared hosting account and have never gone anywhere near my limits, and I also have a blog and two tester sites. like Mike said you could always upgrade though I doubt you would need to for a long time, and I'm sure they would make it easy for you.

Your location will make no difference at all, I am in France and most of me members are from the EU. we have never had any downtime or loading problems.

If money is tight I use and can recommend MyBB software it's similar to vBulletin and FREE. you could also change the software later from MyBB to vBulletin if you felt you needed to. The support is maybe not as good on MyBB as it is on vBulletin but you can always find an answer on Google by typing in your question with MyBB at the end.

I too was confused on going for my own hosting after running a free hosted forum and money is tight for me too, but and I'm glad I chose MDD :)