MDDHosting Forums

GeoIP Ads

iansltx

So I've got a website for my local college newspaper (see my post in the website reviews forum). We'll eventually be transitioning to a web model but for that to be sustainable we need a god amount of ad revenue. In order to get that revenue we need a targeted audience, preferably by location.

Our setups are WordPress (MU but it really doesn't matter) and Joomla. Google Analytics does a good job of GeoIP, and I'm sure their AdSense system does a bit of that as well, however we want to be able to do the same thing with our own ads.

So, is there any package where we could either replace Google AdSense (preferred) or add our own banners (second best choice) based on where, down to a city level if possible (state level is okay as well) a visitor is from?

Thanks in advance...this would be not only cool, but also profitable for the paper, which is sorta what we need :)

So I've got a website for my local college newspaper (see my post in the website reviews forum). We'll eventually be transitioning to a web model but for that to be sustainable we need a god amount of ad revenue. In order to get that revenue we need a targeted audience, preferably by location.

Our setups are WordPress (MU but it really doesn't matter) and Joomla. Google Analytics does a good job of GeoIP, and I'm sure their AdSense system does a bit of that as well, however we want to be able to do the same thing with our own ads.

So, is there any package where we could either replace Google AdSense (preferred) or add our own banners (second best choice) based on where, down to a city level if possible (state level is okay as well) a visitor is from?

Thanks in advance...this would be not only cool, but also profitable for the paper, which is sorta what we need :)

I don't know of any off-hand but it wouldn't be too difficult to use the GeoBytes GeoIP system to select an advertisement/banner from a pool of advertisements. It might be something you have to develop yourself - maybe somebody else will have a better suggestion :)