• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scottcocoabeach

scottcocoabeach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

I have set up two control panels in my reseller account. Under my first panel I have a site created that is currently active. I want to redo my site using different software but leave the current site up and running while I work on it and then switch over to the new site. The sites would have the same name so I am looking for a way to handle this.

I think what I need to do is add the domain under my second control panel installation but I think this wold confuse the name servers. I would think I would need a 2nd set of name servers to use but I am not sure how to set this up? Also, I need to be able to access the site without assigning the name server to the 2nd site while in development - I think this may just be done by directly going to the IP?

I hope I am clear enough in what I am asking as this is all pretty new to me. Thanks!

#2 scottcocoabeach

scottcocoabeach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:23 AM

Just tried to add the domain name to the second control panel and got an error since it already existed. There must be a way to handle this? I am open to alternate solutions. Just want to be able to redevelop sites while keeping the same one intact. I know I could install software to different directories but I would prefer the home page to just show as the main site name without a directory listing but maybe that is my only option? Thanks for any help.

#3 Scott

Scott

MDDHosting Staff

• Staff Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

I would suggest using a subdomain or different add-on domain to develop the new site. Using two accounts like you describe opens a can of worms that makes my head hurt.
Scott S - MDDHosting LLC - Providing Hosting since 2007
Scalable shared hosting plans in the cloud! Check them out!
Highly Available Cloud Shared, Reseller, and VPS
http://www.mddhosting.com/

#4 MikeDVB

MikeDVB

Forum Administrator

• Staff Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

I would suggest using a subdomain or different add-on domain to develop the new site. Using two accounts like you describe opens a can of worms that makes my head hurt.

Don't let your DNS weakness show! /poke /poke :)
Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC - Providing Hosting since 2007
Scalable shared hosting plans in the cloud! Check them out!
Highly Available Cloud Shared, Reseller, and VPS
http://www.mddhosting.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users