MDDHosting Forums

Should I worry about Disk /dev/sda5 (/)

SarisIsop

Hello folks sorry to bother you all again, I have done a Google search but I'm still not sure what to do!

I clicked Service Satus in my cPanel and got this with a yellow triangle: "Disk /dev/sda5 (/) 81%"

Would appreciate if someone here could tell me what if anything I should do.

Thank You.

This means your storage allocation (or hard drive) is almost full. It is imperative that you not run completely out of space or your server will cease to function. If you can remove unused files, clear old logs, clear temporary storage, or do anything else to bring your disk usage down, now is the time. Otherwise you will need to get additional storage. Edited by Scott S
It would appear I made the assumtion you were on a VPS. See Michael's reply below since you are on a shared account.

This means your storage allocation (or hard drive) is almost full. It is imperative that you not run completely out of space or your server will cease to function. If you can remove unused files, clear old logs, clear temporary storage, or do anything else to bring your disk usage down, now is the time. Otherwise you will need to get additional storage.

Thanks Scott, Unused files I think I know what I'm looking for. but how do I find old logs and temporary storage?

Also is Disk Space Usage not the same as Disk Usage?

Thank You.

There are two sides to look at: 1- Application specific stale cache files, log files, etc. 2- OS logs and tmp files. The application specific files are dependent on any scripts you have have running, such as WordPress or PHPBB. For OS files, you can open a ticket to have us review your server.

There are two sides to look at: 1- Application specific stale cache files, log files, etc. 2- OS logs and tmp files. The application specific files are dependent on any scripts you have have running, such as WordPress or PHPBB. For OS files, you can open a ticket to have us review your server.

Sorry Scott I'm still new to all this. I have removed some unused files but it has made no change. I'm lost maybe I should sleep on it.

These are the server statistics and not specific to your account.

Abstract it a bit ... 81% of what? 100gb would leave 19gb free but what it it's 1,000gb? That leaves 190gb free.

Basing alerts on raw percentages isn't great but there isn't really a better way to do it that is generic enough for all cPanel servers large and small.

Our internal alerts go off at 90% but at this time there is no way to customize the alert percentage inside of cPanel.

You can ignore the message, as it's not specific to you.

• Upvote 1

These are the server statistics and not specific to your account.

Abstract it a bit ... 81% of what? 100gb would leave 19gb free but what it it's 1,000gb? That leaves 190gb free.

Basing alerts on raw percentages isn't great but there isn't really a better way to do it that is generic enough for all cPanel servers large and small.

Our internal alerts go off at 90% but at this time there is no way to customize the alert percentage inside of cPanel.

You can ignore the message, as it's not specific to you.

Thanks Mike, I will stop poking around my cPanel. Can I just clarify all I need to keep an eye on is my "Disk Space Usage and Monthly Bandwidth Transfer" ?

It would appear I assumed you were on a VPS server. My apologies for any confusion. (Today keeps getting looooonger.)

No problem Scott.