MDDHosting Forums

Help a newbie please

SarisIsop

Hello I'm hoping someone can give me walk through on how to do this. I set my forum up a couple of months ago on MDD (very pleased with the service by the way) everything is fine on the forum, but I'm trying to work out a way of having a second forum for testing stuff.

For example I made some changes to the layout and almost cocked it up! I do have a tester forum on a free host but I don't get full access to everything. I did try setting up a Sub Domain in my Cpanel but got a bit stuck and couldn't figure how to install a second forum, so I deleted the Sub domain.

Sorry for sounding a bit dumb but I don't want to get it wrong and ruin my existing forum. so if anyone could tell me in simple terms how to set up another forum just for testing I would be grateful.

Thank you. :)

The easiest way would be to install a second forum in a new directory on your site; you don't have to actually create a subdomain. If your forum software is in Softaculous, I think it allows you to specify a new folder that doesn't actually exist yet. (I'm working from memory, because I don't use Softaculous on my VPS). I seem to recall that you can specify a folder like "test-forum" and Softaculous will create the folder, and install the forum.

Assuming you used the new directory "test-forum", you would access it at: www.your-domain.com/test-forum

If you want to keep your test-forum private you can password protect the folder in cPanel (Security > Password Protect Directories).

If you don't have Softaculous, or need to manually do step one above, use either sFTP or the File Manager app in cPanel to create a new directory, then upload the forum software into that folder.

• Upvote 1

The easiest way would be to install a second forum in a new directory on your site; you don't have to actually create a subdomain. If your forum software is in Softaculous, I think it allows you to specify a new folder that doesn't actually exist yet. (I'm working from memory, because I don't use Softaculous on my VPS). I seem to recall that you can specify a folder like "test-forum" and Softaculous will create the folder, and install the forum.

Assuming you used the new directory "test-forum", you would access it at: www.your-domain.com/test-forum

If you want to keep your test-forum private you can password protect the folder in cPanel (Security > Password Protect Directories).

If you don't have Softaculous, or need to manually do step one above, use either sFTP or the File Manager app in cPanel to create a new directory, then upload the forum software into that folder.

Thank you very much I do have Softaculous, done what you said and it's worked. :)

I really appreciate your help, thanks again.