MDDHosting Forums

C-panel annoyances

ClassicalMark

Hi,

Is there any general way to change how C-panel works? Sometimes what you need to do seems overly convoluted.

Two examples:

1) Moving files. Dragging from one folder into another is great. But first you have to give yourself permission (i.e. click on "Change Permissions" then click in the "Execute" box). Once you've dragged the file to its new folder, the Permission reverts to what it was before. Can I somehow change all the permissions, give myself blanket Executive privilege, so I don't have to keep doing this?

2) Editiing subsequent files. Editing one is simple. Click "Edit," and the file opens. But if you then want to edit a different one, you have to highlight it and click "View." Then you have to close the View window and then click "Edit." Seems like a whole bunch of extra clicking. Okay, so doing this once isn't so bad. But today I wanted to change spacing on text that's repeated in all my pages. Opening the "View" window every time gets old.

Petty annoyances, I know, but it would be nice to be able to fix them.

1) Moving files. Dragging from one folder into another is great. But first you have to give yourself permission (i.e. click on "Change Permissions" then click in the "Execute" box). Once you've dragged the file to its new folder, the Permission reverts to what it was before. Can I somehow change all the permissions, give myself blanket Executive privilege, so I don't have to keep doing this?
Use FTP, you can then drag and drop folders and files as you need without issue. FileZilla is a free FTP client that works well.

2) Editiing subsequent files. Editing one is simple. Click "Edit," and the file opens. But if you then want to edit a different one, you have to highlight it and click "View." Then you have to close the View window and then click "Edit." Seems like a whole bunch of extra clicking. Okay, so doing this once isn't so bad. But today I wanted to change spacing on text that's repeated in all my pages. Opening the "View" window every time gets old.
Download the files via an FTP program such as FileZilla and edit them locally with something like NotePad, TextEdit, DreamWeaver, etc...

Petty annoyances, I know, but it would be nice to be able to fix them.
There's no real way to "fix" them as it's due to the nature of a browser-based file manager. Using programs (not a browser) that are designed for these purposes would make your life much easier. NotePad is free on Windows, TextEdit is free on Mac, and FileZilla is free for both platforms.

DreamWeaver isn't free but if you spend a lot of time doing HTML/Webpages, it's well worth the price in my honest opinion.