MDDHosting Forums

Domain name redirect?

Heather

I only have experience with directing new domain names to subdomains, so I was hoping someone could help me with understanding how to redirect a secondary domain name to the domain name I'm using here currently? First I tried setting the nameservers, then set a url forwarder of sorts when I saw it existed (both of these on the domain registrar side), but either it's not working or taking a while to propagate. What (if anything) do I need to do from the MDDHosting end? I tried looking at the different CPanel options but the redirect there seemed to only be from the domain name I signed up with (heathergibbons.ca) to another place.

If someone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it. :)

I only have experience with directing new domain names to subdomains, so I was hoping someone could help me with understanding how to redirect a secondary domain name to the domain name I'm using here currently? First I tried setting the nameservers, then set a url forwarder of sorts when I saw it existed (both of these on the domain registrar side), but either it's not working or taking a while to propagate. What (if anything) do I need to do from the MDDHosting end? I tried looking at the different CPanel options but the redirect there seemed to only be from the domain name I signed up with (heathergibbons.ca) to another place.

If someone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it. :)

It's a two step process:

1- Set your nameservers to the values given to you in your welcome email. This is generally done with whomever registered the domain for you.

2- Add a parked domain or add on domain in cPanel. Parked domains will be a clone of your primary domain, add on domains have their own document root and can be their own site.

If you need help, do open a ticket so we can further assist you. https://www.mddhosting.com/support/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response. I thought that parked domains would forward every part of the site with the new url, rather than just redirecting to one page (and from what I read, Google frowns on that kind of practice)? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I did manage to figure it out, though. Thanks. :)

I thought that parked domains would forward every part of the site with the new url

I believe that is how it works. Depending on on how the site is configured, it could redirect to the correct URL, however.

Google frowns on that kind of practice

That is my understanding, but I'm no SEO expert.

Sorry for the late response. I thought that parked domains would forward every part of the site with the new url, rather than just redirecting to one page (and from what I read, Google frowns on that kind of practice)? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I did manage to figure it out, though. Thanks. :)

Google doesn't like duplicate content, and recommends you use a 301 redirect in your .htaccess file at this page. The redirect will tell Google which page you want indexed.