MDDHosting Forums

PHP 5.3?

kuemerle5

I guess this means for me that "if it isn't broken, don't fix it", my sites are running stable so no need for 5.3, right?

Essentially, yes... PHP 5.3 is faster and more efficient so you may check to see if your scripts are compatible. you could also try the "shotgun" method of simply changing to 5.3 and seeing if anything quits working as it's easy to switch back and forth.

Essentially, yes... PHP 5.3 is faster and more efficient so you may check to see if your scripts are compatible. you could also try the "shotgun" method of simply changing to 5.3 and seeing if anything quits working as it's easy to switch back and forth.

Everything seems to have gone smooth on my account with this.

To Jarkko, many of the advantages of the PHP 5.3 are in the coding backend with some new shortcuts, defining constants anywhere, namespaces, etc.. But there are also hosting advantages with better INI support which can now be user or directory specific. I think some of the syntax and setup has changed from how it was handled. I've skimmed over some details but I'm sure Mike knows about these things or is learning with the rest of us.