• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fshagan

fshagan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

In the SolusVM control panel there is a statistics section, with three charts. I think I understand the traffic (bandwidth) and memory use, but what exactly is "Load"? I'm assuming its the load on the CPU. Is it divided by two since I have two cores dedicated to my VPS?

I was logged in w/SSH as root and running "top" to see CPU utilization a couple days before this chart, when I was converting a SMF forum to IP.Board. The CPU hit 80% a couple of times processing the SQL queries for attachments (there are 7,900 pictures in the forums). Nothing blew up, but that's a number I'd hate to see for any length of time. On my old reseller plan, the CPU was often up over 30% from all the shared accounts, so any time you needed to perform a query it was pretty tough.

Attached Files

#2 MikeDVB

MikeDVB

Forum Administrator

• Staff Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Load is just a representation of the processes on the server waiting for CPU access. In a 2 core system generally you'd want to try and keep it under 2.0 however there are a few reasons why it could go over 2.0 and still be responsive. It should be used more as a guide and not as an absolute certainty.
Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC - Providing Hosting since 2007
Scalable shared hosting plans in the cloud! Check them out!
Highly Available Cloud Shared, Reseller, and VPS
http://www.mddhosting.com/

#3 fshagan

fshagan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:50 AM

OK, that makes sense. Other than during the monster forum imports, I haven't seen it go above about 1.3, and usually its down way below 1.

I have to say, the response time on the VPS is great. I'm very happy with the move.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users