MDDHosting Forums

Change all folders & file names to all lowercase?

karrinina

Okay, so obviously I still have a lot to learn. Like today I learned that Linux servers differentiate between upper and lowercase letters. Oops.

I had moved a folder of images over to MDDhosting when we switched from an old URL hosted on a Windows server elsewhere, to a new URL & site that is hosted here.

Thinking I was being really sly and clever about not breaking the links to these images, I put the folder in the same spot as it had resided relative to the www/public folder on the old Windows server. Then had the old URL point to the new one.

Yeah, that's when I learned about upper & lowercase letters.

While on the Windows server, we blithely named files and folders with a willy-nilly mix of upper & lowercase letters, naive to the fact that it might one day matter.

So. . . for most of the emails or pages that are supposed to go out and get one of these images - I have no idea if their coded paths to the images are using upper & lowercase, or if they are all lowercase or what. That's because we silly gooses didn't pay any attention to that sort of thing at the time.

What's the best course of action, short of putting a lowercase copy of every file and image in the same folders? Ugh.

I know there's some way of running a script or something that will change all the the folder and file names to all lowercase - although I don't know how to do it and doubt anyone wants to risk letting me try.

But then any paths out there that are using a mix of upper & lower - they would stop working.

Any ideas from the gracious bunch that frequents this forum?

Thank you for your time (I am long-winded, too, eh?)

~Karrinin

Oh, that's good to know. Definitely for the future it will help me institute an all lowercase file & foldername regime on myself and my colleagues! I appreciate your taking the time to suggest something!

~K

My FTP program (WS-FTP) has an option where you can force lower-case letters on file names when you upload files. I'm not sure if that helps

This link may help:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/convert-filenames-lowercase

Oh, that's good to know. Definitely for the future it will help me institute an all lowercase file & foldername regime on myself and my colleagues! I appreciate your taking the time to suggest something!

~K

It could be done with a script, but I wouldn't want to do it in an automated fashion as that could easily cause issues. Generally what I'd do is view the properties of any image that isn't loading and see what file name it's asking for, and then fix it.

That's exactly what we did when we moved your account over and noticed some images were loading and some were not.