MDDHosting Forums

Domain registrar suggestions?

sremick

For a long time now, I've had some domains with GoDaddy (be nice: once upon a time, they were actually good and recommended). Then someone recommended 1and1, and being impressed with their clean website and better pricing, I experimentally started using them for a few new domains.

After so many years of juggling two registrars, and watching GoDaddy's site degrade to the point of being virtually unusable, I've decided I'd rather migrate all my domains to 1 registrar. At first, I thought that'd be 1and1... however, I discovered a snag: they only allow 5 subdomain forwards (I had like 100 with GoDaddy).

This isn't acceptable.

They also won't upgrade me without moving me to a hosting plan ($80+ a year), but I keep my hosting and registrar separate (and my hosting, naturally, is here).

So, that leads me to my question: what are everyone's preferred domain registrars?

I like NameCheap beyond having to pay for WHOIS protection after the first year.

I actually have all of my own personal domains at my own domain reseller through DirectI but you can get one cheaper at NetEarthOne and then technically be your own registrar if you wanted...

Honestly though - unless NEO upgraded their control panel it's almost as convoluted as GoDaddy's minus all the advertisements.

I've had extended experience at 2 domain companies - GoDaddy And Namecheap. I would recommend both companies since they are both large, well-known brands who won't go out of business soon, and both are cheap at around $9.

I would definitely recommend Namecheap over GoDaddy for 2 reasons. Godaddy tries to sell you a ton of add-on services (hosting, etc) when you buy a domain. This is annoying. And second, Namecheap's backend is alot easier to navigate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

For a long time now, I've had some domains with GoDaddy (be nice: once upon a time, they were actually good and recommended). Then someone recommended 1and1, and being impressed with their clean website and better pricing, I experimentally started using them for a few new domains.

After so many years of juggling two registrars, and watching GoDaddy's site degrade to the point of being virtually unusable, I've decided I'd rather migrate all my domains to 1 registrar. At first, I thought that'd be 1and1... however, I discovered a snag: they only allow 5 subdomain forwards (I had like 100 with GoDaddy).

This isn't acceptable.

They also won't upgrade me without moving me to a hosting plan ($80+ a year), but I keep my hosting and registrar separate (and my hosting, naturally, is here).

So, that leads me to my question: what are everyone's preferred domain registrars?

instead of searching other domain you can get one by your own at the goreseller.com and also you can sell your domain.

I have a reseller account with ResellerClub (DirectI) also, and like it. Their control panel is a bit old-school, but whois privacy is free as well other services (domain forwarding, email accounts, DNS services, etc).

Your pricing depends on how much you either deposit in your account initially and/or what you spend over time. Your deposit goes toward products you buy, so while you tie up some money, there isn't a cost for "buying in". The minimum deposit amount with them right now is $199, and the pricing you get for .com, .net and is 9.99 (or 9.49 for .org).

The only catch is that if you deposit money by PayPal they credit you the net of your deposit minus the Paypal fees.

The other way is to be a sub-reseller of a ResellerClub member like MDD or me; you can often negotiate the "pricing slab" you enter that way with a lower deposit. The deposits at ResellerClub are artificially high, in my opinion.

We got our domain registrar account from DirectI through whmcs :-)

I got mine, quite a few years ago, as part of a deal with a competitor of whmcs; I don't recall which one it was, but it wasn't ClientExec (the one by Netenberg, perhaps; not sure its still around). DirectI later changed me automatically to ResellerClub.

The domain services are good, but their hosting plans are horrible! I won't sell them to customers. I may have low standards, but not that low!

This isn't acceptable.

Check Fabulous.com (best kept secret till now) lol

"if they let you in"

• 4 months later...