MDDHosting Forums

Which Forum Software To Use

Blind Bandit

I hope this is in the right section.

So like many I'm struggling to nail down the right forum software. I have been very heavily considering moving from Proboards to a self hosted forum with MDD.

So what forum software do you have experience with or what forum software do you enjoy?

The software packages I've looked at.

V Bulletin- the standard is forum software. Has a huge amount of features and has very big mod / theme community. Is very expensive for most.

IPB- also considered a standard of forum software. Has a lot of features. Is like Vb expensive.

PHPBB- A main stay in free forum software. Has a decent number of features a very large modding /tempting community. Its free and open source.

SMF- is a newer player in free forum software. Has decent features but seems to be adding features rather slowly. Has a good modding / theme community. Its free. I do feel slowness on adding features can cause problem for some as well desire to not be bloated. SMF is community to be a forum software but dosen't push a bigger package like software providers.

MyBB- a very new player in the free forum software game. They seem to have been inspired a great deal by VBulletin. The software is feature rich especially for a free piece of software. But the modding and theme community is still lacking. Being so new may be a determinate for some.

Please don't' take this as anything official this is just my take on the forum software I've looked at.

So tell me me what dose everyone else think?

I like smf, ipb and ocportal (it is a cms and yes it comes with its own forum that you can use or use a different forum lik ipb and smf).

Oh and by the way SMF has been around a long time. It was called Yabb se Before they changed the name. I used it back when it was still called yabb over 4 years ago. That was also back when IPB was free.

March 31st, 2004 -

From its first conception in November of 2001, to the current 1.5.5 release the path has been one of great learning and evolution. Starting from an idea of a port of the Zef Hemel's popular YaBB Perl software to growing to a team of close to a dozen people, hundreds of community released mods, and a great community. While today we are officially putting the YaBB SE project to bed, we promise that the ideas and premise behind the project will not die.

The team that has brought you YaBB SE has moved on to develop the next evolution in forum software, SMF. We have rebranded ourselves under the name Simple Machines and continue to strive to release the best free forum software out there and are ready to compete with products of the commercial caliber. To learn more about SMF please visit the Simple Machines website.

Thanks for all of your continued support and care,

The YaBB SE Team

You may download a supported version of SMF here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php

You may download an unsupported legacy version of YaBB SE version 1.5.5 from SourceForge here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57105

You may still view our community forum with read only access to our archives of information:

http://www.yabbse.org/community/index.php

I like phpBB3 for non commercial sites like inlandr.com but for a commercial business I think one should go with vB or IPB. vB is a bit ahead of IPB feature and mod wise but IPB3 is going to blow vB away :-)

Hopefully others will have some input as well!

thanks mike.

You made a good point the big communities or business communities tend to go with either IPB or VB and not much else.

For some reason I just can't warm up to phpBB as a poster and if I can't warm up to it as a poster then I don't think admining it would be any better.

I like smf, ipb and ocportal (it is a cms and yes it comes with its own forum that you can use or use a different forum lik ipb and smf).

Oh and by the way SMF has been around a long time. It was called Yabb se Before they changed the name. I used it back when it was still called yabb over 4 years ago. That was also back when IPB was free.

Ya I saw that its and interesting turn of events.

Proboards is actually based of the Perl version of YABB.

Thanks what do you prefer IPB vs SMF?

Between IPB and SMF it's a hard decision. If money is an issue I'd not have a problem at all going with SMF but if you have the money I think I'd go for IPB.

Check out http://www.inlandr.com/ it's a phpBB3 board for which I am an administrator. I think the user-side is ok but the administration side is a bit convoluted.

Wow your a good friend.

I just thought of some thing I want to add to this.

I see that people say vb has more mods and features - although I have looked and see no evidence of that.

I got IPB do it it having the features I want and vb did not.

As for mods - guess it depends what you want.

As of right now Vb has no rpg system and IPB has 3 maybe 4.

Wow your a good friend.

I just thought of some thing I want to add to this.

I see that people say vb has more mods and features - although I have looked and see no evidence of that.

I got IPB do it it having the features I want and vb did not.

As for mods - guess it depends what you want.

As of right now Vb has no rpg system and IPB has 3 maybe 4.

I think their refereeing to none official mods or it could simply be a generalization.

One thing I was wonder though.

Are VB and IPB heavier on a sever compared to SMF, PHPBB? I don't want to overgeneralize but I' heard this and I'm just curious to know its true.

Ah for me I was comparing the bandwidth, database and speed.

IPB puts all the skins in the database so it grows much faster and the database also takes up more room for posts and topics.

Hmmmm interesting.

Guys I've got another piece of forum software everyone might want to look at .

MyBB a forum software inspired by VB or so I'm been told.

http://www.mybboard.net/

• 4 weeks later...
I remember when Mybb came out.

When it came out it looked like IPB and could use some of IPB's mods.

I think How ever after a disagreement they based a newer version on VB.

Ya that what I've heard as well. I've also read that VB required Mybb to change some of its code.

I noticed this while posting on the admin zone.

this kind of worries me. Not necessarily the number of advisories but how many vulnerabilities there were.

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/4479/

But this also from what I understand three versions.