MDDHosting Forums

Semi-Dedicated and # of site visitors

skunkbad

I've got a client who is a politician. His campaign for next year's election will begin soon, and I am making his website, and will choose the hosting plan. We can probably count on traffic that would be suitable for shared hosting, but if he is to appear on TV, or if he gets a spot on a radio show, he could potentially get a 1000 or so visitors coming to his website all at once.

We've got a design that is very low on resources, meaning it doesn't need a bunch of images, flash, or movies to be loaded. I'm even thinking to build the whole site as static HTML. Can we expect that a spike in traffic would go almost unnoticed if we purchase the best Semi-Dedicated plan? In general, with Semi-Dedicated hosting, how many page loads per second for static HTML could be served without any slowness?

Should I even bother? Would shared hosting be fine based on what I've told you?

Thanks for your answer in advance.

If the site is 100% static the server can realistically handle (depending on how *big* the page actually is) up to around 100,000 requests per second - now I wouldn't expect you to get anywhere near that (as that is DDoS levels of traffic).

On a semi-dedicated plan it should be ok, the only worry I would have is that you might go over your bandwidth limit - beyond that it should be fine.

I've already prepared the client for the additional expense of bandwidth. I just want to make sure we don't go down with a traffic spike. The entire home page, including external CSS file and images is only 92KB. I think we would have to have a pretty serious traffic spike to use up the bandwidth, but the money will be set aside in case that happens.

Thanks for your answer. 100,000 page loads per second!

I've already prepared the client for the additional expense of bandwidth. I just want to make sure we don't go down with a traffic spike. The entire home page, including external CSS file and images is only 92KB. I think we would have to have a pretty serious traffic spike to use up the bandwidth, but the money will be set aside in case that happens.

Thanks for your answer. 100,000 page loads per second!

100,000 requests per second, if each page is a .html, 5 images, a .css and 2 .js that would be 9 requests for each page load or around 11,000 pages/second - of course the biggest limitation at that number of requests would be the bandwidth pipe. The servers are on 100megabit ports but we can up them to gigabit (1,000megabit) as needed.