• Please log in to reply
419 replies to this topic

#161 KevinJones

KevinJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:53 AM

On P1, ftp working now, looks like all my stuff is there \o/.

Still no HTTP access, (cleared cache, tried curl).

BTW, you guys talked about editing /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi with a less fear-instilling message, but it appears nothing has changed with that.  Still getting 404.

#162 KevinJones

KevinJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:55 AM

With the exception of one single account P1 is done with it's restorations.  The account that we are waiting on is on the larger side so I did not want to save the status update on it.

Can you explain why I still don't have http access?

#163 KevinJones

KevinJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:56 AM

With the exception of one single account P1 is done with it's restorations.  The account that we are waiting on is on the larger side so I did not want to save the status update on it.

Can you explain why I still don't have http access?

Should I open a ticket? (Mine is definitely not the account you are waiting on)

#164 Stéphane Bergeron

Stéphane Bergeron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:04 AM

Client account on P1 is showing one site normally but the main domain displays this forum actually... Ticket #206979. Client patience is wearing very thin and this all makes us look very bad. Sorry to pile on but we're a small agency and we recommended you to them very strongly and they haven't been here long.

#165 interworld

interworld

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:05 AM

KevinJones... for me there was a bit of a lag between cPanel and FTP working and the site itself coming up. Also the old 404 page is a good sign as it means your site is coming back up. Keep clearing things and if your site is bookmarked, make sure the http is typed in the browser. This was the scenario for me last night.

#166 KevinJones

KevinJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:09 AM

KevinJones... for me there was a bit of a lag between cPanel and FTP working and the site itself coming up. Also the old 404 page is a good sign as it means your site is coming back up. Keep clearing things and if your site is bookmarked, make sure the http is typed in the browser. This was the scenario for me last night.

Thanks Interworld.  I'll hang on a bit longer.  As far as 404, I have never seen any other page.  My reference was to the discussion about editing /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi to give a more informative message to confused users out there.

#167 ericr

ericr

Staff

• Staff Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:14 AM

Please open tickets indicate in that you are on P1 in the subject and having issues so we can address them.

#168 Rhody401

Rhody401

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Consultant, Contractor, Beta Tester, IT Director.

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:14 AM

My guess would be if you are seeing 404, you are using a bookmark to a special/direct link within the domain. Have you tried www,yourdomainnamehere.com ?  THAT is what would see the "technical difficulties" error page that was modified.

#169 KevinJones

KevinJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

BTW, just a little tip if you use the command line:

curl <your website url>

will avoid browser caching issues

#170 interworld

interworld

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:19 AM

KJ... yes, I was getting the new 'Technical Difficulties' page on /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi that they had put up... but right before my site went live, it temporarily reverted to the 404. Make sure you clear everything on your browser.

#171 KevinJones

KevinJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

My guess would be if you are seeing 404, you are using a bookmark to a special/direct link within the domain. Have you tried www,yourdomainnamehere.com ?  THAT is what would see the "technical difficulties" error page that was modified.

Well I see the problem now.

I was not using a bookmark, however:

I find that if I type in anything not in the root directory, I get the 404 - eg, hostname/folder/index.html.

But it is true, if I just type in the hostname, or hostname/index.html I will get the "SORRY" page.

However, this message is no more informative or less foreboding to users than the 404 page was:

"If you are the owner of this website, please contact your hosting provider: webmaster@waynebent.com"

I thought there was going to be something like "We know there is a problem, and we're working on it."

#172 giantjack

giantjack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

This is getting really painful now.

A lot of angry customer's. I've put in so much time to this business, this time to restore is dreadfully slow

#173 KevinJones

KevinJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:35 AM

I thought there was going to be something like "We know there is a problem, and we're working on it."

Ok, in light of Interworld's comment, I guess there is/was a page like that, but I am not able to see it now for the reasons he mentioned.  And maybe I never saw it before because of the root directory exception?

#174 interworld

interworld

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:39 AM

Post #87 on page 5 of this thread has a screen shot of the page in question. It was posted by Rhody401 I believe.

#175 Jim.Powrmatic

Jim.Powrmatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:51 AM

My website is restored and working, thank you.  However my email is not working so well.  I can send and receive from my own domain but can not send anything outside my domain.  I'm getting a 550 error - see below for details.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reporting-MTA: dns; p1.supportedns.com

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;jimkappes@yahoo.com
Remote-MTA: dns; scanners.mail.supportedns.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 message submission is for authorised users only!

#176 505MediaGroup

505MediaGroup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:53 AM

P1 is back, thank you MDD! I know you're working ****** this and I appreciate you guys and all the great service over the years.

I wanted to share this just so that everyone knows that in the world of hosting and IT every provider has issues. 

So, for my P1 domains I went into GoDaddy to update the new IP in DNS and guess what? There DNS servers are down. That's right, even the mighty GoDaddy has issues!!

2018-09-24_0827.png​

2018-09-24_0827_001.png

If you've been doing this for any amount of time you that this happens. I've been at it since 2000, for 18 years and I've been with many hosting providers. No other has even come close to MDD hosting in service and support. I know when they come back from this they will be even better. I'm sticking around and I hope you do too.

#177 cziv

cziv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:54 AM

GUYS DO NOT POST SPECIFIC PROBLEMS HERE.

OPEN A TICKET !!!!!

#178 KevinD872

KevinD872

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Drums & music, motorcycles, computers, programming and gadgets.

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:01 AM

Ok, in light of Interworld's comment, I guess there is/was a page like that, but I am not able to see it now for the reasons he mentioned.  And maybe I never saw it before because of the root directory exception?

If I'm following you correctly, it sounds like you were expecting 404 error pages to be similarly worded to the default page.  I believe they only changed the default page.  There are 3 or 4 other pages that could be changed to be less scary sounding.

MDD:  If this wouldn't take any time from performing the backups, would it be possible to replace all of the default pages (or also the 404 page at a minimum) to something closer to the default page you guys put in place of the original?

#179 Stéphane Bergeron

Stéphane Bergeron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:06 AM

I'm with giantjack. Customers are pressuring us to leave MDDHosting and we have 6 client sites still down and all on S2 with no good news to give them. That this will go on all day still is placing us in a very uncomfortable position and the restoration process is indeed painfully slow.

At the very least I would like more frequent updates on what is happening like what servers are being restored, etc. Frequent updates is really the least you can do at this point as most of us here are obviously defending you with our own angry clients because of your amazing track record in the past. But with some clients, that can only go so far and we need information to manage expectations. Especially since I had a crazy week planned already with no time to spare and I now have to manage this and field angry client calls when I should really be concentrating on other things...

#180 spocklikesspores

spocklikesspores

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

My friend that has website + email with mdd has a backup of the website. I/he could open a ticket about a special restore effort for that; but what he really cares about is the email, not the website. I can't see how restoring the website will restore his email config at mdd. So what backup is it that people are talking about that would speed the return of email?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users