^^Moving forward, I think it will be wise to devise some sort of plan so when failure occurs it's a simple process to come back online --- as an end user, reseller, etc.
I know I will be putting in efforts to have fall back plan of some sort instead of scrambling to figure out what to do.
Learned my lesson last time not to have registrar/host be the same entity.
Perhaps we can start a thread for discussion of backup plans/strategies...
As they said in the motorcycling world...... It's not a question of if you'll crash but when.
Out loud, I was thinking of mirroring my more static sites on a second shared provider somewhere and simply pointing CloudFlare DNS at the mirrored copy of a site on the other shared account. A variation of this is having a predesigned "we'll be back soon" single pager on another host ready to have CloudFlare DNS pointed to. That being said, from what I know about MDD, I'd eat my hat if Mike allows downtime like this to ever happen again. I have lots of half decent shared accounts from other providers that I mess about with. In hindsight, I think I'd have went with option 2 for this situation and made my own little "we'll be back, here's our contact details" page.
As far as email, I've always been partial to having email in places like Google Suite / Zoho Mail. I know that cPanel has mail packages, I just like Google Suite better. Plus, with my domains at Namecheap, my DNS at CloudFlare and my email at Google Suite, I am still getting email through all this.
FYI. I'm just over 6 years with MDD. I'm in the "frustrated with the wait, but never jumping ship" club.
*Edit* Spelling derps.