MDDHosting Forums

Infrastructure Upgrades - Storage and Servers

We will be re-evaluating migrating the server as a whole. The plan was for it to take no more than a couple of hours and for no IP addresses or Server Names to change. Unfortunately this method may not work and we may be forced to perform standard cPanel migrations.

We were able to use this method to migrate all of our internal servers and systems but our old storage platform simply may not be able to keep up with the amount of data transfer required to migrate one of these servers as a whole.

If this is the ultimate outcome we will work with you as much as possible to make the transfer process as smooth as possible.

I hate to do it - but we're scheduling another maintenance window for the R3 server this Friday, September 8th, 2017 from 10 PM ET to 2 AM ET [GMT-4]. The last failed attempted did not take very long to copy data we actually spent a fair bit of the time attempting to get the new server to boot successfully. We have performed extensive testing since the transfer failure of the R3 server this last Saturday and we are confident that we have resolved all of the outstanding issues that prevented the transfer from succeeding.

We plan for the actual outage to be less than an hour, however, we will keep this thread updated as we did with the last attempt.

I did intend to send out an email on Tuesday, as Monday was a holiday, detailing the failure and what we're doing to correct it but admittedly I've been so focused on getting the issues resolved that it slipped my mind. I am sending out an email now to all affected clients about this.

If you have any questions you can ask them here or reply to the email you're about to receive, if you're on the R3 server, and we'll be happy to help.

So, what is next ? Only 6 days left until 15 of September for the rest of us, as your email initially was about.

Due to the overwhelming success of this latest migration we'll be reaching out on Monday to clients to schedule the rest of the transfers. It is possible that we may have to push some transfers past September 15 in order to avoid trying to move too much data too fast and choking our former storage platform but we're going to get everybody moved as soon as possible. We definitely do not want to go past the end of September otherwise we're going to be paying for both the old storage platform and the new one for an additional month.

I'm providing some graphs that show disk i/o latency both before and after. Keeping in mind that these are logarithmic these are pretty massive improvements in addition to the stability of the graphs after the upgrade

SDA is the "/" folder on the server - basically everything besides MySQL and the "/home" folder which stores user data.

SDB is the "/home" folder on the server - which stores your home directory, account data, php files, emails, etc.

SDC is the MySQL folder on the server.

2017-09-09_11-14-24.png

This graph is for the root folder of the server, "/", and the green spikes do not affect the performance of client sites in any way. They are from scheduled tasks that run on the server that are very I/O intensive such as accounting, bandwidth tracking, etc.

2017-09-09_11-16-31.png

This graph for SDA, the root "/" folder, shows the average latency on reads and writes have gone down as well as the I/O wait time - again this chart is logarithmic so it's a pretty large improvement.

2017-09-09_11-17-14.png

This graph for SDB is for the "/home" folder - the blue line for IO wait is much lower and everything is substantially lower beyond the write IO wait time. This is to be expected as we are replicating 3 copies of the data on every write for redundancy against failure. Reads are substantially faster and more consistent.

2017-09-09_11-18-43.png

This graph for SDC is for MySQL and it is plainly obvious that all of the metrics are lower [lower is better] as well as more consistent. MySQL actually has one of the largest impacts on the performance of dynamic sites like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento, etc... This is a massive improvement in both consistency as well as speed.

Just to be sure, I can post and make changes to my sites like I normally do until the offline sync of data, right?

As a general rule: Yes.

To be safe, I'd suggest to save your work and disconnect a few minutes before the shut down. Imagine you are writing a blog post, and need to press save. You're writing and everything is going swell, but we do the shut down a few minutes before you finish. You hit the save button and...... you get a connection error. Depending on when you last saved, some work could be lost.

After some time has passed on the new platform here's an updated graph showing this weekend as well as most of today on the R3 server as compared to the old storage:

2017-09-11_16-31-43.png

2017-09-11_16-37-52.png\

Lower is obviously better - the top 3 lines in the second graph are the writes to disk. The bottom 3 lines are reads from the storage. Writes will be slower than reads due to the data duplication for redundancy but even with this - the overall performance is very much improved.