MDDHosting Forums

Let's Encrypt Woes

BuckoA51

So I tried the new free SSL certificates today and cannot get them to work properly with my site. Right now I'm only trying to protect my logon pages, but I keep getting errors like this:-

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.videogameperfection.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

www.videogameperfection.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for videogameperfection.com

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

I made the certificate for videogameperfection.com so why won't it work with the www part?

Thought this was supposed to be easy :( Any ideas anyone?

SSL certificates are issued for specific domains and won't work on other domains. The control panel should have given you an option to select the www subdomain when creating the certificate, so you may need to do that again with both domains selected.

If you don't see the option or have an issue, please open a support ticket so we can access your account and help you troubleshoot further.

ok I will give it a try in a few days, going to make full site backup first.

Sure thing - having a backup is always a good idea anyways.

That said the issue you are having you would have had with a non-free SSL if you ordered it for your domain without the "www." at the beginning. This isn't something specific to LetsEncrypt.

I've used LetsEncrypt myself on my own personal site and it is working very well for me :).