MDDHosting Forums

How may I change my Wordpress admin userid?

fjpoblam

I am not a SQL expert, a Cloudflare familiar, or even an expert on the internals of Wordpress.

I suppose I could negotiate through the various Wordpress files and folders on my site and change a PHP file, if that's all it would take, but I suspect strongly that that's not where it's done.

I could add yet another admin user, but (1) two admin users may not share the same email address and (2) I fear using a different admin username will interfere with post authorship information, among other things.

I've scoured through the Wordpress control panel and my cpanel, and I see no easy manner to accomplish a change of my Wordpress admin username. Is it even possible?

[Edit: Ah, yes, and as you might deduce, I would appreciate an answer appropriate for a simpleton.]

The WordPress docs offer a few ways this can be done:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Resetting_Your_Password

PHPMyAdmin is available through your control panel. If you're not comfortable with that, they also give an option for editing a file and uploading it through PHP.

I would also suggest taking a backup of your account before making changes, just in case something goes terribly wrong.

Hope that helps

The WordPress docs offer a few ways this can be done:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Resetting_Your_Password

PHPMyAdmin is available through your control panel. If you're not comfortable with that, they also give an option for editing a file and uploading it through PHP.

I would also suggest taking a backup of your account before making changes, just in case something goes terribly wrong.

Hope that helps

Yes, I've seen the Wordpress doc on it. The ones to which you offered links, FWIW, are about changing the admin *password*, not username. Possibly, from what I see in PHPMyAdmin the principle would be the same: for the database entry I see "username" and "nicename" (?) and an encrypted presentation of the password. Inasmuch as I assume the principle would be the same (editing the database item) I *may* work up my courage and do it after I set up another "fall-back" admin userid...

Thanks.

[edit to remove questionable words]

Yes, I've seen the Wordpress doc on it. The ones to which you offered links, FWIW, are about changing the admin *password*, not username. Possibly, from what I see in PHPMyAdmin the principle would be the same: for the database entry I see "username" and "nicename" (?) and an encrypted presentation of the password. Inasmuch as I assume the principle would be the same (editing the database item) I *may* work up my courage and do it after I set up another "fall-back" admin userid...

Thanks.

[edit to remove questionable words]

Whoops. It looks like I overlooked that you said user id and not password. I assume you can just edit it directly in the DB, but only WordPress would know for sure. So long as you have a backup or can revert any change you make, you will probably be safe.

I don't use Wordpress but the following should work.

You could take a look at this link. It has some nice photos showing how to change the username (not user id) in various ways.

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-change-your-wordpress-username/

I think the only way to change the actual admin user id without breaking associations to the admin account would be to follow the "Method 1 Create a new user and delete the old one" from the link above. When deleting the existing admin account make sure that you click on ‘Attribute all content to:’ option before actually deleting the existing admin account!

Before getting started, you should be able to change the current admin user email to a different valid email (either an existing one or a new one set up in cpanel for this purpose), then you can use the existing admin email for the new user. Or you can do the opposite and use a different valid email for the new user and once everything is completed, change the email to the desired admin email.

• Upvote 1

I don't use Wordpress but the following should work.

You could take a look at this link. It has some nice photos showing how to change the username (not user id) in various ways.

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-change-your-wordpress-username/

I think the only way to change the actual admin user id without breaking associations to the admin account would be to follow the "Method 1 Create a new user and delete the old one" from the link above. When deleting the existing admin account make sure that you click on ‘Attribute all content to:’ option before actually deleting the existing admin account!

Before getting started, you should be able to change the current admin user email to a different valid email (either an existing one or a new one set up in cpanel for this purpose), then you can use the existing admin email for the new user. Or you can do the opposite and use a different valid email for the new user and once everything is completed, change the email to the desired admin email.

Yep, PhilD13, I figured on something like that. I truly thank you for your confirmation and I have bookmarked the link. Now (as stated above) I just have to "bookmark a link for courage". I must say, I wasn't aware of that "Attribute all content to..." business. That is very reassuring.

Thanks again. (Upvoted, of course.)

You can't change the main admin account w/o a plugin. I don't think you can delete it either, at least I couldn't. Just do a wp search on "change admin name." It's much easier than trying to change it completely in the editor or messing around in cPanel.

I was able to do what I wanted by following a hint offered by a previous poster. That being,

(1) Add a new admin id.

(2) Login as that admin and delete the "old" admin; be prompted, "Either delete all content or attribute to...". Choose "Attribute to [new admin]”.

Voila!

Now, as per "root" user protector,that is completely separate, and in my innocence I had misunderstood. I found that, too, in cPanel. Full control.

If there is another userid in control of something, of which I am not aware, for all my logins to provide complete and full control over my Wordpress site are now userids and passwords to my liking, and I *now* know how to control them.

Thanks to all wise posters here! Problem solved.