Photo

S1 / R1 Servers - Network Device Updates - ~9 PM ET Jan 12, 2016.

Scheduled

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 haus

haus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

Is it possible to revert to a known/previous/good configuration for the time being and maintain the current state of s1 offline as a testing platform to figure out the issue? Despite echo's issues I feel like it was more reliable in recent weeks than s1 has been since the migration. I know we're not paying for anywhere near 100% uptime and I completely understand that outages happen (I'm a Linode customer as well, so it's been a rough few weeks), but it seems at least in the short term this migration has caused more problems than it has solved. I fully support what you're doing to improve reliability down the road but I feel like it would be better for those both sides of this issue to get out of emergency/troubleshooting/damage control mode, get things running, and have time to properly diagnose outside of a production environment. Particularly when this appears to be a hardware/configuration problem and not a DDOS or upstream connectivity issue.

Please believe me when I say I truly respect what you're doing and all the hard work you're putting in to this, but I feel like we're beta testers in this endeavor and as a result it is hurting me and my clients. I know how hard it is to maintain servers - that's why I have several clients hosted here, because I trust you and I don't want to be spending the late hours doing it myself. I feel like when things are rushed it is more difficult to solve problems. I have no issue at all with copies of all my client sites being duplicated in a testing environment or whatever it takes to help get this new configuration up and running reliably. I'm not as comfortable with it happening on the server the A and MX records are pointed to, if that can be avoided at this point.

#42 MikeDVB

MikeDVB

Forum Administrator

• Staff Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

S1 is and has been online and operational without issues since yesterday as far as I can see.

We just restarted R1 to perform some of the optimizations we performed on S1 and you can see that graph here:

2016-01-20_15-04-38.png

You will notice the dark yellow CPU usage is almost non-existent to the right of the reboot/restart gap.  Optimization for the win :).

The yellow is a measure of how much CPU is waiting on data - read/write from the storage.  Taking it from an average of 5 to an average of 0.26 is a phenomenal change.

Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC - Providing Hosting since 2007
Scalable shared hosting plans in the cloud! Check them out!
Highly Available Cloud Shared, Reseller, and VPS
http://www.mddhosting.com/

#43 MikeDVB

MikeDVB

Forum Administrator

• Staff Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Things have been nice and stable since my last fix on this issue.  The fix is more of work-around but it works.  Hopefully cPanel and LiteSpeed will get together and work towards a real integration of LiteSpeed's services into cPanel's offerings.  Currently LiteSpeed uses an 'Apache Wrapper' to function with cPanel while letting cPanel believe it was Apache that was running.

This doesn't exactly work so great on CentOS7 with SystemD and cPanel overwriting/'fixing' the httpd.service every night.

LiteSpeed informed me that they were actually modifying their software to watch for cPanel breaking the LiteSpeed integration so they can fix it on the fly which feels like a kludge and not a solution.  IMHO cPanel should simply not be breaking LiteSpeed and should be aware that it is, in fact, LiteSpeed and not Apache.

At the end of the day even if our software vendors are unable to resolve issues with their software - we will if possible.

2016-01-24_13-48-36.png

Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC - Providing Hosting since 2007
Scalable shared hosting plans in the cloud! Check them out!
Highly Available Cloud Shared, Reseller, and VPS
http://www.mddhosting.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users