MDDHosting Forums

Best Practices for Incoming Mail Configuration

Shelley

In reviewing the Knowledgebase I noted that the most recent 'instructions' for configuring email set up for Outlook is 2010. :-/

95% of my clients use Outlook/Office365

I have for some time now (upon Michael's suggestion) been advising clients to use the server designation, ie nameofserver.supportedns.com when setting up their Outlook for the incoming mail server.

What I am hoping to get here is the latest and optimum configuration details for incoming mail in order to minimize issues that crop up.

I was going to start a support ticket but as I perused the forum and couldn't locate the info that I was looking for, thought I would post here.

While not specifically wanting to address Windows Mail, Outlook or Office365 or whatever variation of email program that Microsoft puts out to torture me, it is what I use (ugh!) primarily so that I can assist my clients with issues that from time to time pop their heads out of the ground.

I, right now, am getting emails from a client's IT Dept because they can't get some email addresses set up despite what I have found to be tried and true.

Comments and suggestions most appreciated

tks

Shelley

Unfortunatly as every email client is coded and configured differently it is near impossible to have one set of instructions for setting account up. One possible issue could be the clients network blocking email ports, that would be a question for their IT department.

I would suggest using the server address 'servername.supportedns.com', the port information can be found via cPanel > Email Accounts by selecting the down arrow to the right of the account and clicking 'Configure Email Client'.

Tim M.