MDDHosting Forums

Set up domain with Google Apps

iansltx

Just added another hosting package with you guys, and ordered a domain from elsewhere (domain.com). I've already selected MDDHosting for the nameservers.

So my question is:

1. Where do I go to point the domain to Google Apps stuff (GMail, GCalendar, GDocs), here or Domain.com?

2. If here, where would I look?

Thanks!

Just added another hosting package with you guys, and ordered a domain from elsewhere (domain.com). I've already selected MDDHosting for the nameservers.

So my question is:

1. Where do I go to point the domain to Google Apps stuff (GMail, GCalendar, GDocs), here or Domain.com?

2. If here, where would I look?

Thanks!

You would need to set the MX Records which last time I checked you can do this from inside of your cPanel by selecting "MX Record". I am not sure what the MX Records are for Google Apps so you would need to find that out. If you need assistance setting them once you find out what they are we can do it for you.

You would need to set the MX Records which last time I checked you can do this from inside of your cPanel by selecting "MX Record". I am not sure what the MX Records are for Google Apps so you would need to find that out. If you need assistance setting them once you find out what they are we can do it for you.

For Google Docs and Google Calendar, I think a change in aA records is also needed. Would that also be under CPanel?

I've changed these settings before for a domain, but that was when I had hosting and the domain otherwise at 1&1. I know the drill, I just need to know where to do it with the new setup :)

Okay, MX record is set correctly. However I need to set some CNAME records for Google Apps to work correctly. Where would I do that in CPanel? Domain.com has the option for DNS managment, but that sounds like it'd take over the nameservers from MDDHosting, which I probably don't want to do. Where to next?

For Google Docs and Google Calendar, I think a change in aA records is also needed. Would that also be under CPanel?

I've changed these settings before for a domain, but that was when I had hosting and the domain otherwise at 1&1. I know the drill, I just need to know where to do it with the new setup :)

Okay, MX record is set correctly. However I need to set some CNAME records for Google Apps to work correctly. Where would I do that in CPanel? Domain.com has the option for DNS managment, but that sounds like it'd take over the nameservers from MDDHosting, which I probably don't want to do. Where to next?

As a shared client you don't have access to your DNS Zone (and this is a good thing in *most* cases). Just let us know what changes you need at support[at]mddhosting.com or by visiting https://www.mddhosting.com/support/submitticket.php and we'll make them for you.

As a shared client you don't have access to your DNS Zone (and this is a good thing in *most* cases). Just let us know what changes you need at support[at]mddhosting.com or by visiting https://www.mddhosting.com/support/submitticket.php and we'll make them for you.

Okay. Somewhat odd but oh well. May switch to DNS by Domain.com later on but probably not now.

mail., docs. and calendar. need to be CNAME'd to ghs.google.com off the top of my head.

Okay. Somewhat odd but oh well. May switch to DNS by Domain.com later on but probably not now.

mail., docs. and calendar. need to be CNAME'd to ghs.google.com off the top of my head.

That's not a problem at all, you just need to open a support ticket and we'll take care of it within a few minutes. You are certainly welcome to host your own DNS at Domain.com if you wish :)

If you want to point me to some documentation on configuring a DNS Zone for Google Apps I'll be more than happy to configure your DNS zone for you fully - or if you just provide us the information we need. You can post it here but you'll get an almost immediate response by submitting a support ticket.