dlyons's Content

There have been 8 items by dlyons (Search limited from 09-July 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#4520 Custom A-Records while using MDDHosting DNS

Posted by dlyons on 17 July 2013 - 05:30 PM in Shared Hosting Support

Very interesting! Ok thanks Michael, I'll look into it.

#4518 Custom A-Records while using MDDHosting DNS

Posted by dlyons on 17 July 2013 - 04:06 PM in Shared Hosting Support

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the post split off, I wanted to ask more about this but didn't want to fill up the original thread.

So ok, my knowledge of DNS and all that is sparse at best, please excuse my noobish questions. What exactly happens with the Advanced DNS zone editor? Would using it effect emails that are set up and hosted over at Network Solutions?

#4515 Custom A-Records while using MDDHosting DNS

Posted by dlyons on 17 July 2013 - 02:41 PM in Shared Hosting Support

This thread is a split from http://forums.mddhos...ur-dns-is-fine/

Sure, there are dedicated DNS providers out there. For many of our customers, that is probbably overkill, but it is an option.

We also provide DNS servers with our service. The control panel handles configuring most things, and has tools for you to set custom records. All you have to do is set our nameservers with your domain registrar, and of course, set any custom DNS records in our control panel.

That's how I would have liked it set up in the first place. The only issue with this particular domain is that NS is also hosting my client's email and the only way the email system would work was to set up the DNS with A Records on their end.

#4513 Network Solutions being DDoS'd -- Network Solutions DNS services affected...

Posted by dlyons on 17 July 2013 - 02:25 PM in General Announcements

Unfortunately, that is the nature of DDoS issues. You mitigate, the attacker adapts, you mitigate again, and so on. DNS caching can help when the only part that is down is your DNS servers, but that eventually runs out too if the attack is ongoing. If they are online again, get a copy of your DNS records so you can set them up with another DNS server and get everything back up and running.

By another DNS server, do you mean with another DNS provider?

#4511 Network Solutions being DDoS'd -- Network Solutions DNS services affected...

Posted by dlyons on 17 July 2013 - 02:14 PM in General Announcements

Spoke too soon. There's been a lot of people reporting still being down, so I checked my site on Down for Everyone Or Just Me and it's reporting the site is down. I guess I must be running off a cache even though I cleared everything.

So either it was never up, or it's down again.

#4509 Network Solutions being DDoS'd -- Network Solutions DNS services affected...

Posted by dlyons on 17 July 2013 - 01:11 PM in General Announcements

Seems they're back up according to their facebook page:

"The recent DDOS attack affecting some customers has now been mitigated. Customer websites should be resolving normally, and you should be able to readily access the Network Solutions site."

I've got a client with two domains registered to them (and connected to their DNS) and right now the site is up and responsive.

They also finally posted an update on their twitter account, however the problem was never announced there in the first place. I don't really use facebook so the only reason I knew about this was from the MDDHosting twitter, so thanks for the announcment guys I sincerly appreciate it.

#4419 Jasmine Emergency Kernel Update Status

Posted by dlyons on 14 May 2013 - 08:36 PM in Server and Network Announcements

I have to say, this is the first time in over 5 years I've felt like I could have a heart attack while working to resolve an issue. We do still have another server offline with the exact same issue but it's the exact same hardware build so we're swapping processors on it as well. If all goes well it will come back online and all services will be 100% restored.

We're then going to investigate why this happened and see what we have to do to to correct it - be it installing larger/different coolers on the processors, more fans in the chassis, discussing cooling with the facility, etc... At this point I don't have an 'Reason For Outage' beyond hardware failure but once we have more details as to what exactly caused this I will be sure to post them up.

I give you guys a ton of credit, I don't think I could handle that myself if I were in your shoes.

Yeah it would be interesting to find out why exactly it went out, I'm just glad it was a relatively easy repair. Good luck with the other server!

#4415 Jasmine Emergency Kernel Update Status

Posted by dlyons on 14 May 2013 - 08:26 PM in Server and Network Announcements

Awesome news! Thanks for all the hard work guys and keeping us updated as much as you could. It's been tense watching the thread to say the least and I can't even imagine how crazy it must be over by you.