Leah2's Content

There have been 6 items by Leah2 (Search limited from 17-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#7546 DNS Flag Day

Posted by Leah2 on 28 January 2019 - 09:21 PM in Web Hosting

So far so good with my clients on MDD. It's the ones on EIG sites & the Big D that have an IT person whispering in their ear because they get affiliate $. Is the $10, $15 worth it??? I guess so. Me, I'd rather have speed, security, consistent upgrades to servers & how fast MDD fixes issues. Pretty sure none of those other hosts would reply in 2min to a post.

#7544 DNS Flag Day

Posted by Leah2 on 28 January 2019 - 08:57 PM in Web Hosting

Hi All,

I just found out about this and I've had a couple of clients who have domain issues related to this. In a nutshell:

Check for domain registrar compliance:

http://dnsflagday.net/#domain-holders

The current DNS is unnecessarily slow and inefficient because of efforts to accommodate a few DNS systems that are not in compliance with DNS standards established two decades ago.

To ensure further sustainability of the system it is time to end these accommodations and remediate the non-compliant systems. This change will make most DNS operations slightly more efficient, and also allow operators to deploy new functionality, including new mechanisms to protect against DDoS attacks.

DNS software and service providers listed on this site have agreed to coordinate removing accommodations for non-compliant DNS implementations from their software or services, on or around February 1st 2019. This change will affect only sites operating non-compliant software.

#7058 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Leah2 on 23 September 2018 - 09:07 PM in Web Hosting

Latest ETA Calculations:

s1    Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 11:59:00 PM
p1    Monday, September 24, 2018 at 4:00:00 AM
r1    Monday, September 24, 2018 at 4:00:00 PM
s2    Monday, September 24, 2018 at 4:00:00 PM
p2    Monday, September 24, 2018 at 3:00:00 PM
r2    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 2:00:00 AM
s3    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 6:00:00 AM
r3    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 2:00:00 PM
s4    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 5:00:00 PM
r4    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 6:00:00 PM
s5    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 10:00:00 PM
s0    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 10:00:00 PM

Thank you! For now clients have been understanding but patience is wearing thin so this is super helpful.

#7044 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Leah2 on 23 September 2018 - 06:48 PM in Web Hosting

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to say I came to MDD back in 2010 & brought all my clients with me as I've been super happy with MDD's support. It's always a shock to the system when I have to deal with other hosts. I'm not super happy with the situation as it is a nail biter, but mistakes happen as we all know being in the tech business. Thank you so much for keeping everybody in the loop. & for changing the error message, it made me & everyone else look totally stupid.

I do have a question - would you recommend going forward we make sure we use the Cloudflare option in cpanel? Do you recommend cname or nameserver. I want to make a change to my system as I have frequent backups mandated but need to add a further layer of protection for my clients (some uncomfortable conversations about how I am going to protect them in the future - & here I am preaching to the choir...).

Thanks!

#6950 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Leah2 on 22 September 2018 - 06:32 PM in Web Hosting

Please understand, no gripe, just tinfoil hat, okay? 5:12PM MDT and my Wordpress blog (plus two addon sites) are still down. I have full backups for the addons, no problem. For the Wordpress database, blog entries dating back 15 years, I’m nervous that (*if* they’re restored) I shouldn’t also “backup” a blind copy to my “secret” Wordpress.com site. Else I can’t imagine how to maintain an off-host backup.

Ah, well, thanks so much for keeping us up to date pards. I’m sure you know it’s painful for us and I know it’s painful as well for you. I’m sorry my email of sympathy and gratitude generated a ticket. Unintended. Live long and prosper.

Hi, I find the program backup buddy by ithemes to be really helpful (no affiliation). I send my backups to my dropbox. Hope that helps.

#6949 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Leah2 on 22 September 2018 - 06:30 PM in Web Hosting

Please understand, no gripe, just tinfoil hat, okay? 5:12PM MDT and my Wordpress blog (plus two addon sites) are still down. I have full backups for the addons, no problem. For the Wordpress database, blog entries dating back 15 years, I’m nervous that (*if* they’re restored) I shouldn’t also “backup” a blind copy to my “secret” Wordpress.com site. Else I can’t imagine how to maintain an off-host backup.

Ah, well, thanks so much for keeping us up to date pards. I’m sure you know it’s painful for us and I know it’s painful as well for you. I’m sorry my email of sympathy and gratitude generated a ticket. Unintended. Live long and prosper.

Hi, I find the program backup buddy by ithemes to be really helpful (no affiliation). I send my backups to my dropbox. Hope that helps.