KevinJones's Content

There have been 12 items by KevinJones (Search limited from 17-April 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#7465 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 28 September 2018 - 07:50 AM in Web Hosting

From the 2 cents department, and maybe this has been talked about already (this is a loooong thread), I wonder if you have considered implementing software that requires 2 separate users entering their password for commands that are potentially catastrophic.  (and no cheating :-))

#7161 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 24 September 2018 - 11:35 AM in Web Hosting

Wanted to mention, after waiting 2.5 hours after P1 was restored and I had cpanel/ftp, my HTTP still wasn't working.  I finally filed a ticket and found out I had to point my dns to a different ip.

So while it is good to be patient even after your account is partially restored, it may be well to file a ticket if it is taking a long time to access your webpage, as there may be some other issue at play.

#7154 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 24 September 2018 - 10:55 AM in Web Hosting

FWIW, http://p1.temporary-access.com gives 404 error.

#7143 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 24 September 2018 - 10:13 AM in Web Hosting

KevinJones... for me there was a bit of a lag between cPanel and FTP working and the site itself coming up. Also the old 404 page is a good sign as it means your site is coming back up. Keep clearing things and if your site is bookmarked, make sure the http is typed in the browser. This was the scenario for me last night.

Interworld, how long of a lag was there for you?  It has been an hour and a half, and I still have no HTTP access.  I am wondering in case there might be some other issue, but I don't want to jump the gun and open a ticket if it is not necessary.

Again, I don't believe browser caching is an issue here (cleared cache, tried curl)

#7135 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 24 September 2018 - 09:35 AM in Web Hosting

I thought there was going to be something like "We know there is a problem, and we're working on it."

Ok, in light of Interworld's comment, I guess there is/was a page like that, but I am not able to see it now for the reasons he mentioned.  And maybe I never saw it before because of the root directory exception?

#7133 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 24 September 2018 - 09:30 AM in Web Hosting

My guess would be if you are seeing 404, you are using a bookmark to a special/direct link within the domain. Have you tried www,yourdomainnamehere.com ?  THAT is what would see the "technical difficulties" error page that was modified.

Well I see the problem now.

I was not using a bookmark, however:

I find that if I type in anything not in the root directory, I get the 404 - eg, hostname/folder/index.html.

But it is true, if I just type in the hostname, or hostname/index.html I will get the "SORRY" page.

However, this message is no more informative or less foreboding to users than the 404 page was:

"If you are the owner of this website, please contact your hosting provider: webmaster@waynebent.com"

I thought there was going to be something like "We know there is a problem, and we're working on it."

#7130 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 24 September 2018 - 09:16 AM in Web Hosting

BTW, just a little tip if you use the command line:

curl <your website url>

will avoid browser caching issues

#7126 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 24 September 2018 - 09:09 AM in Web Hosting

KevinJones... for me there was a bit of a lag between cPanel and FTP working and the site itself coming up. Also the old 404 page is a good sign as it means your site is coming back up. Keep clearing things and if your site is bookmarked, make sure the http is typed in the browser. This was the scenario for me last night.

Thanks Interworld.  I'll hang on a bit longer.  As far as 404, I have never seen any other page.  My reference was to the discussion about editing /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi to give a more informative message to confused users out there.

#7123 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 24 September 2018 - 08:56 AM in Web Hosting

With the exception of one single account P1 is done with it's restorations.  The account that we are waiting on is on the larger side so I did not want to save the status update on it.

Can you explain why I still don't have http access?

Should I open a ticket? (Mine is definitely not the account you are waiting on)

#7122 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 24 September 2018 - 08:55 AM in Web Hosting

With the exception of one single account P1 is done with it's restorations.  The account that we are waiting on is on the larger side so I did not want to save the status update on it.

Can you explain why I still don't have http access?

#7121 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 24 September 2018 - 08:53 AM in Web Hosting

On P1, ftp working now, looks like all my stuff is there \o/.

Still no HTTP access, (cleared cache, tried curl).

BTW, you guys talked about editing /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi with a less fear-instilling message, but it appears nothing has changed with that.  Still getting 404.

#7039 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinJones on 23 September 2018 - 06:13 PM in Web Hosting

The default page should be better now for when your site doesn't load should be better now.

Mines still looks the same from here. "404 Not Found" "The server can not find the requested page".  To the user it would like like my site went away for some unknown reason.