LazyDodo's Content

There have been 2 items by LazyDodo (Search limited from 03-July 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#7332 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by LazyDodo on 25 September 2018 - 03:20 PM in Web Hosting

You should get the ones that are/were automatically still being resent by the senders' mail systems once your accounts came back up. Until your domain was restored, those addresses were unavailable, so there was nowhere for the sent mail to go. On Saturday and Sunday, most of the people who tried to send you email will have received bounce messages. Depending on their mail system, the bounce message may have indicated that the sending software would retry every X hours for a period of Y hours before giving up. Often the Y is 24 or 48 hours. For systems that retry sending, if all of the retries occurred before your account was restored, the sending software will have informed the senders that the email address is unreachable and the bounce is permanent. If they retried after your accounts were restored, you should still get the email. If the bounce was permanent, the sender will have to send the email again for it to reach you.

Didn't quite work that way, i send a test email from a non MDD account before my server got restored, there was no bounce, no retry, just a single terse 'this is not happening my friend'

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

xxxxx@myemail.com
    host p1.supportedns.com [173.248.191.179]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<xxxxx@myemail.com>:
    550-Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client.
    550-sending_host.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]:34282 is not permitted to relay
    550 through this server without authentication.

#7148 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by LazyDodo on 24 September 2018 - 10:27 AM in Web Hosting

For people that end up on the defaultwebpage.cgi page on P1, I figured out what was/is wrong (at-least for my site),the IP address of the server changed, and since my DNS records were set with a TTL of 4 hours some users will still have the wrong IP in their local dns cache (or their upstream dns servers) for a couple of more hours, and they end up on the the defaultwebpage.cgi page.