Rhody401's Content

There have been 9 items by Rhody401 (Search limited from 21-October 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#7440 Assessing Email Loss

Posted by Rhody401 on 27 September 2018 - 06:20 AM in Web Hosting

Yes. Great info.  My understanding/small adjustment:  Technically, messages stored for retrieval wouldn't be from the time of the outage - but from the time of the backup they restored from. (in my case, 4 days previous to the outage. this varies by server)  

If someone had retrieved their messages already via POP, just before the outage, then yes they would be current as of that time.  (but not IMAP)

Messages received in the 2 hours when the servers were down would probably re-try, but once the servers were online I believe the re-tries and any other messages coming in would be bounced back - since the accounts did not (yet) exist to receive them.  I believe the message it was returning was:

550 Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client. mail-qt1-f181.google.com [209.85.160.181]:38745 is not permitted to relay through this server without authentication.

#7277 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Rhody401 on 25 September 2018 - 09:31 AM in Web Hosting

Just wanted to say thanks again.  ALL of my reseller accounts on R1 are back and working 100%, including a vBulletin forum and several wordpress sites.  The restore was from last Tuesday afternoon, but that only matters for the forum. (and I auto back it up twice daily to my home server, so that's not really an issue)

NO problems here.

We had a similar problem back on 9/11/01, when our previous data center/isp was knocked out by the falling twin towers.  They were down for more than a month.  

Great work, team.  After this, you may need to sleep for a week.

#7239 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Rhody401 on 24 September 2018 - 08:42 PM in Web Hosting

I'm starting to see some LIFE on one of my R1 accounts.  :)   I just received backed up (re-sent) emails from that domain from 9/17 until 2:30pm.  (so I'm assuming Phoenix backup was from about then, and I'm one that is 4 days in the past)  I can live with that :)

I can get into that account with FTP(and see all my files), but web browser brings me to the original cpanel "Sorry..." message. (instead of the modified one that was up earlier). I tried with a different browser and can get in, so probably just a cache.

Thank you! :)

#7228 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Rhody401 on 24 September 2018 - 06:22 PM in Web Hosting

Good news!  Your PHPBB forum comes up fine for me. It shows 7 registered users and 79 guests currently online from the past 20 minutes.  Maybe a browser cache?

The newest post seems to be from 9/12/2018, however.  But I'm not signed in, either, to see private content.

I hope someone here can help, as Support is probably a little too busy.

My site (ooakforum.com) is on P1, but it's still not working after almost 12h.

I do have a dedicated IP, but I'm not sure if I need it for this.

I've purged the cloudflare cache, and my browser caches, it's still not working.

Is there something else I need to do?

Can anyone help?

#7128 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Rhody401 on 24 September 2018 - 09:14 AM in Web Hosting

My guess would be if you are seeing 404, you are using a bookmark to a special/direct link within the domain. Have you tried www,yourdomainnamehere.com ?  THAT is what would see the "technical difficulties" error page that was modified.

#7063 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Rhody401 on 23 September 2018 - 09:39 PM in Web Hosting

You're all doing a heck of a great job to recover. Your efforts and transparency are very appreciated!

#7004 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Rhody401 on 23 September 2018 - 01:03 PM in Web Hosting

dupe ok to zap

#7003 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Rhody401 on 23 September 2018 - 01:02 PM in Web Hosting

Thank you, Mike. That is MUCH better :)

Hopefully R1 isn't too far behind S1

techdiff.jpg

#6933 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by Rhody401 on 22 September 2018 - 01:36 PM in Web Hosting

Sometimes stuff happens.  We learn from it, and get better from the experience.

How a company responds in a crisis situation like this says the most, and you guys are doing a STELLAR job.  The transparency and dedication is greatly appreciated, and I won't nag or delay you by putting in a ticket. Everything I need to know was posted in these updates.

Thanks to the MDD staff, in advance, for another job well done.

Hopefully you'll get some well deserved sleep soon!

Mike