KevinD872's Content

There have been 11 items by KevinD872 (Search limited from 20-September 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#7342 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinD872 on 25 September 2018 - 04:19 PM in Web Hosting

I've been back up for a couple hours or so, roughly (S3).  So far everything is intact and working.  Had to re-enter a password or two into Android devices but all is good.  I'm only mentioning this to hopefully give some peace of mind to others still waiting that at least for me, everything is still working as before.

#7333 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinD872 on 25 September 2018 - 03:42 PM in Web Hosting

What is the proper way to back up all cPanel-related site settings?  Files>Backup Wizard or Jetbackup>Full Account Backups or other?  When I try going into Jetbackup it says I don't have permission to access the page.

Pretty much anything that I can change in cPanel, I want to be able to restore if ever needed.  What's the best way to do this?

#7252 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinD872 on 24 September 2018 - 11:17 PM in Web Hosting

Hi, I am on the P1 server which seems to be done, thank you, Mike and team, for all your hard work.

I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to change my email settings? The cPanel settings show incoming & outgoing servers listed as mail.mydomain, the previous settings were p1.supportedns.com. Which is correct?

2. Will the emails that people sent to me during the outage reach me eventually or are those completely gone?

3. My website is still reading a "404 File Not Found" error message. As the P1 server is up and running how do I get my site back online? Can specific instructions be sent, please?

Thank you MDD team.

Until you get a more proper response, I will throw my 2 cents in:

1 - I don't think it matters which server you use, as in the end, it is the same server.  I have used both interchangeably and it works just the same.  I would guess that perhaps the xx.supportedns.com may be the best option as using your domain name would just add one more link in the chain but I don't really know that for sure.  Even so, the speed impact would be negligible.

2 - The sending server will keep trying to send any emails to you, but they all give up eventually.  Either way, the sender would generally get a "bounce back" email saying that the message could not be delivered.  After that, it would be up to them if they want to try sending it again.  I think it's safe to say that for as long as this outage has lasted, everyone will be losing at least some messages, unless they had a personal backup that they had MDD apply to their account via a support ticket very early on before any sending servers would have completely given up on trying to send the email.

3 - You could try clearing your browser cache (or try an alternate browser such as IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc. to see if it goes away) or perhaps someone else may have a better answer.

#7146 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinD872 on 24 September 2018 - 10:22 AM in Web Hosting

My friend that has website + email with mdd has a backup of the website. I/he could open a ticket about a special restore effort for that; but what he really cares about is the email, not the website. I can't see how restoring the website will restore his email config at mdd. So what backup is it that people are talking about that would speed the return of email?

Someone from MDD can confirm, but I believe what they were saying is that you can open a ticket to have a new blank cPanel account created for you and once you do that, you could then configure your email settings.  I believe they also said that they would not overwrite anything (i.e. your email stuff) unless you specifically tell them to do so in a ticket.  Here is the problem with this:  If you use IMAP email, it would likely cause some problems if all of those emails (or any IMAP sub-folders) are suddenly missing.

My entire family uses IMAP email through one of my domains and I have two others for business-related things.  As much as I would like to restore my email, it is very complicated for me.  I also use lots of filters.

Edit:  The backup they were referring to in this scenario is that if YOU have a local backup of your entire website, you can have them create the cPanel account and then you could upload your own backup (via FTP, etc) to restore your website quicker yourself.

#7140 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinD872 on 24 September 2018 - 10:01 AM in Web Hosting

Ok, in light of Interworld's comment, I guess there is/was a page like that, but I am not able to see it now for the reasons he mentioned.  And maybe I never saw it before because of the root directory exception?

If I'm following you correctly, it sounds like you were expecting 404 error pages to be similarly worded to the default page.  I believe they only changed the default page.  There are 3 or 4 other pages that could be changed to be less scary sounding.

MDD:  If this wouldn't take any time from performing the backups, would it be possible to replace all of the default pages (or also the 404 page at a minimum) to something closer to the default page you guys put in place of the original?

#7083 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinD872 on 23 September 2018 - 11:49 PM in Web Hosting

Does anyone know if imap email will return at the same time as the websites, for any given domain? Someone I'm trying to help with this issue can wait on the website but losing email is a killer. He is on s3. I'm hoping that email services might return sooner than the website for him.

I can't speak for MDD, but from past messages in this thread, my best guess is that you can try submitting a ticket in order to see if they can get that part working for you sooner.  But then it may complicate things when it comes to restoring your site.  You wouldn't want to overwrite the email folders with what would essentially be 3 or 4 day old data.

Edit:  Answered above by Eric a moment before I posted.

#7067 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinD872 on 23 September 2018 - 10:49 PM in Web Hosting

I have a request to everyone participating in this forum thread: Please keep in mind that if Mike is responding to you, he can't be addressing server issues or answering tickets, despite his valiant attempts to multi-task with little sleep. Some of the questions on here, like, "Are you going to give me a refund?", or "What do you recommend for my backups going forward?" IMO should wait. Even though you are justifiably anxious and participating here helps, your questions are not more urgent than the team getting to tickets (mine and others), helping people figure out how to restore their sites, and continuing to brainstorm with his team on how to improve ETAs.

While I'm sure they have been bombarded with support tickets, honestly I think this thread has been pretty quiet compared to what it could be.  The few complaints we have seen are completely understandable but the fact that most posts have been pretty supportive of the efforts to fix this mess speaks volumes for how great MDDHosting has been for many of us clients over the years; Especially when it would seem that human nature typically results in more people complaining than praising in online forums.

#6999 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinD872 on 23 September 2018 - 12:56 PM in Web Hosting

Already working on that.

Good to hear.  It sounds like this is likely the best way to go.  (Thanks for the idea, Brad!)

If you do this, just be sure to change it back to the original default once this is all said and done.  Otherwise it will just be confusing when the real reason is indeed a configuration problem.   :D

#6990 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinD872 on 23 September 2018 - 11:45 AM in Web Hosting

I've been with MDD for a little over 10 years, and I can definitely vouch for their normally rock-solid service, and they definitely provide excellent support under normal circumstances.  With this said, I have no intentions of leaving MDD and if anything I think I will actually have even more confidence after the dust settles since I have no doubt that they will do whatever they can to prevent such a catastrophe in the future.

I'm also glad to hear that MDD still has no plans to sell the business.  I remember specifically asking about this when I first signed up because it is true that this almost always results in the provider's quality of service taking a nosedive.  I've been burned before, and I know this.  I hope and trust that should your son(s) indeed take over one day that they will have as much integrity and pride in their service as you do.

Regarding the less than desirable message that appears when customers attempt to visit our websites:

Rather than having us clients create yet another ticket just so we can replace it with a better message or temporary website, would it be feasible to just do this for us all on our behalf?  I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that a message stating "The host provider for this website has suffered a catastrophic failure and we are working around the clock to restore service ASAP.  We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience." would be better than it is now as it looks more like the website was abandoned or left misconfigured for days.  I don't know what all would be involved in order to do this for all clients, but on the surface anyway, it would only be one single and small HTML "index" file to copy to each domain's public folder.

#6924 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinD872 on 22 September 2018 - 12:01 PM in Web Hosting

Most are only about 14 hours before the outage, one or two servers are 48 hours or so.

One last question:  What will happen with any emails we should have received between the problem occurring and when our sites come back online?

#6921 Major Outage - 09/21/18+ - Client Discussion

Posted by KevinD872 on 22 September 2018 - 11:57 AM in Web Hosting

I can't speak for everyone, but while I'm not too happy about this, I can understand and empathize with your side of this situation.

That said, I do have one question:  How recent is the data backup on your "last resort disaster recovery" server(s)?