MDDHosting Forums

Server Upgrades - Echo and Fresco servers

Hello!

We have ordered, received, and assembled new hardware to replace the aging Echo and Fresco servers. Echo and Fresco are our two oldest servers that are still online and, as such, they are the two that are getting upgraded first. This upgrade, while substantial, will require account transfers from the old hardware to the new. For those of you using our DNS the impact should be minimal resulting in a short period of propagation and possibly requiring you to update your email clients to reflect the new server information. The transfer process will begin no earlier than Friday, April 26th, 2013 at 8 PM ET.

We will be leaving the old servers online for at least 7 days after all transfers are completed to ensure DNS has time to update/propagate. Anybody not using our DNS will need to manually update their DNS provider with the new IP address information once the transfer process is completed. We do not plan on purging data from the old servers immediately after taking them offline just in case this post and our emails are missed and DNS isn't updated for a site.

The new hardware is running dual hex-core processors with Hyper Threading, 64GB DDR3 RAM, and RAID10 SAS storage that is Read/Write cached by a RAID1 SSD array. We are also evaluating moving to BetterLinux from CloudLinux which should allow all accounts to perform tasks more quickly while still balancing usage for all users to keep things fast and stable.

We are going to do our best to ensure the impact from this move is as small as possible, however, if you have any questions feel free to let us know.

Updates:

• Monday, April 29: Transfers to the new server have not started yet. An additional email notice will be sent before we begin.
  • Friday, May 3: Transfers will likely commence this evening, and continue this weekend if reqired. An email notice will be sent to you before your account is moved.
  • Friday, May 3: Transfers from echo and fresco have begun and emails have been sent to affected accounts.
  • All transfers have been completed.
  • The echo and fresco servers will be retired no later than Wednesday, May 15, 2013.

I bought domain names from a registrar and have not transferred them to MDD. I have entered MDD nameservers with the registrar to point the domains to MDD. Will new nameservers be needed to point to the new hardware, or is this taken care of automatically? In this scenario, do I have to do anything?

I bought domain names from a registrar and have not transferred them to MDD. I have entered MDD nameservers with the registrar to point the domains to MDD. Will new nameservers be needed to point to the new hardware, or is this taken care of automatically? In this scenario, do I have to do anything?

If you're using any set of nameservers provided by us, you won't need to do anything short of possibly updating your mail client details to match the new server details once you're transferred.

During the period when both the old and new servers are online, will mail go to both servers? If you make the changeover the evening of April 26 and I don't update my mail client till April 30, what happens to mail that's sent to me on April 28?

Either server will be capable of sending email, but only one will receive email. You will be able to check email on both via webmail until the old server is offline. It's not hard to copy over mail files from the old server to the new before the old goes offline - it's just the "mail" folder within your account.

Transfers to the new server have not started yet. An additional email notice will be sent before we begin.

We're still testing some new software and features that we hope to make available to our customers. It's taken a bit longer than anticipated which is the reason for the delay. Honestly, I expect transfers to begin by this Friday, May 3, 2013 but we will update this thread and send out another email to affected customers when we do get started. Generally we try not to transfer mid-week but we may move a few of the larger accounts over first.

We intend to begin transfering accounts to the new server this evening, and will likely continue all weekend as needed. An email notice will be sent to any account being moved with updated information about the new server.

We have started the transfer process for the 'Echo' server. We will send an email to all affected customers once the transfer is completed and will post here as well. We will do the same for all affected customers when we start copying the Fresco server and when it finishes copying as well.

fresco -> kobold

That's the only change you would have to make once your account was moved. That said, the transfer process is still in process for the Fresco server so you may or may not be on the new server at this point.

A large portion of the Echo server accounts are copied now. If I had to estimate, 75%. We will send out an email to everybody once all of the moves are completed with some additional details. We did find a way to speed up the transfer process so things should, with luck, be done mid-day today.

There are two ways you can go about this. The best option would be for us to transfer the account again, however you do risk losing any data already created on kobold. You can also configure both servers in your IMAP client, and then drag and drop emails from one server to the other.