MDDHosting Forums

Can't connect to SMTP server through telnet - strange

I have something going on that I've never seen before and hope that I can get some insight into what may be happening. I've created an addon domain in my reseller account for a client and created an email account, but I can't get their email client (Thunderbird on XP) to connect on their computer, which I connect to remotely. I've also tried to connect using telnet and can't connect either, so I don't think it's Thunderbird. The only smtp server I've been able to connect to is Gmail (works using Telnet and Thunderbird). I've disabled antivirus and the firewall, but still nothing. I have many other clients successfully connecting to email through an addon domain, so I can't understand what is wrong.

On my computer, I can connect easily to these servers. The problem seems to lie on only on my clients computer, which is a home computer, and is not on a network, connected to the net using DSL. For the life of me, I can't figure this one out. Any help would be appreciated. The server is mail.usagipatch.com. Mahalo!

Hallelujah - port 26 did the trick. There must be some kind of block somewhere on port 25 and 587, but I don;t know where. Thanks for your help - you guys are always the best!

Whoever you use to connect to the internet from your home is blocking it; COX, AT&T, etc. all block port 25. It is to prevent spamming, which totally disappeared when they started blocking port 25 (yeah, right).

• 6 months later...

Whoever you use to connect to the internet from your home is blocking it; COX, AT&T, etc. all block port 25. It is to prevent spamming, which totally disappeared when they started blocking port 25 (yeah, right).

It was to prevent open relays and poorly configured 'at-home' MTAs (that happened to have been used to relay spam).

Since you can't connect in or out on port 25 on a standard consumer ISP, and the standard port for MTAs is 25, you effectively can't run an MTA. Sure, you could set one up on a non-standard port, but then it won't be able to connect to any other mail server out there on the standard port.

So the issue isn't so much people sending spams, but setting up poorly configured mail servers, intentionally or not.

Just a bit of clarification :).