MDDHosting Forums

Psoriasis Club

Hello just noticed this section, I would be interested to see what you think of my forum. I used to have a free hosted one, but after a year decided to go it alone. I'm not a web designer so please be gentle, the forum has now been open about 2 months.

It's a forum for people who suffer with psoriasis. Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disease that appears on the skin and affects about 3% of the worlds population. It occurs when the immune system sends out faulty signals that speed up the growth cycle of skin cells. 10-20% of people will go on to get psoriatic arthritis a very painful joint problem.

The aim of the forum is to offer support with a friendly atmosphere, and a place for people to keep up to date with the latest news. please have a look and let me know what you think: http://psoriasisclub.org

Thanks for letting me have a link here, I appreciate it. :)

I like it! I always thought MyBB had a nice clean interface ... a no-nonsense approach to forums that made it fast to load and easy to use.

It looks like you are well on your way to building a good community. Are you signed up for Google's free Webmaster tools? You'll want to make sure that you get the forum posts indexed.

I like it! I always thought MyBB had a nice clean interface ... a no-nonsense approach to forums that made it fast to load and easy to use.

It looks like you are well on your way to building a good community. Are you signed up for Google's free Webmaster tools? You'll want to make sure that you get the forum posts indexed.

Thanks for that, I did want it clean and easy to use. I do have the Webmaster tools and the Analytics, it took me a while to suss it all out but it all seems to be working ok.

Though I am getting a lot of Duplicate Title Tags, I think this is down to pages in a thread and all posts are showthread.php, some information I found says it's fine and others say it's not.

I don't want to mess with it to much so have left it as it is, I have searched for "Psoriasis Forum" in the UK and got page one on Google / Yahoo / and Bing just below my old forum.

Thanks for that, I did want it clean and easy to use. I do have the Webmaster tools and the Analytics, it took me a while to suss it all out but it all seems to be working ok.

Though I am getting a lot of Duplicate Title Tags, I think this is down to pages in a thread and all posts are showthread.php, some information I found says it's fine and others say it's not.

I don't want to mess with it to much so have left it as it is, I have searched for "Psoriasis Forum" in the UK and got page one on Google / Yahoo / and Bing just below my old forum.

People go crazy with the SEO stuff, but most of it is "black magic". I finally figured out that a lot of the "Stupid SEO" tricks are intended to trick search engines into listing a site they shouldn't list. Your forum has actual content that the search engines recognize, so they will index the site. Google wants your site in their directory.

The duplicate links are because the search engines will hit not just the forum indexes but also all the menu links, including the "Search" menu link, the "View New Posts" link, etc. Some people will disallow those links in a robots.txt file. Its probably a good practice, and someone in the MyBB community probably has already figured out what to put in it.

There is a feeling out there that "duplicate content" is punished by not being listed, but I suspect by now that Google's algorithm has figured out forum structure.

There is a feeling out there that "duplicate content" is punished by not being listed, but I suspect by now that Google's algorithm has figured out forum structure.

I believe the best practice in these cases is to provided a canonical URL for each page likely to exist with multiple URLs. http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/02/specify-your-canonical.html

You can also use Google Webmaster Tools to indicate some URL parameters that should be ignored and/or should not be ignored. (If that applies in your case)