MDDHosting Forums

What would you like to see on the MDDHosting Forums?

Michael D.

A method of reading the lastest replies without moving off a forum or reloading the page. This could be achieved with ajax with the latest replies showing at the very bottom - or top - of the forum. Without this it can be hard to follow an ongoing discussion.

I believe this is similar to vBulletin's "view new post" feature right?

Not sure without seeing a forum with it displaying but it sounds like it is.

It could be coded a number of ways with probably the easiest using an iframe. All that would be needed is silent refresh code - no click - in a page connecting to the database displaying replies in date order. Refresh the page every few mins or sooner - job done. There are other ways obviously but the above is pretty simple stuff.

Hmm, that would be something that would need to be done in a plugin or by IPB themselves. I've not really looked into many of the plugins for IPB.

First thing would be to check for a plugin but apart from that you can hack the template files and do it yourself. Because you would use an iframe you wouldn't upset the way the forum works as the code displayed in the iframe would be external stuff (page with database connection and latest reply search).

Blues suggestion can kind of be done right now. The default "hook" in IPB is the recent topics and shows on the forum index only. There is a modification ( http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/3318-sos31-recent-topics-v200/ ) that shows it on the forum page for each topic. And I read there was more changing in 3.2 with the end of life announcement for 3.0.

If you subscribe to Alerta, Wormly or other monitoring services, I'd like to see an announcement post with links to their public pages for the various servers. That provides an easy way for someone to see if their problem is the php file they just uploaded, a local connection issue, or if the server really is down. And it provides an "independent third party" verification that your servers are meeting the uptime you promise.

If you subscribe to Alerta, Wormly or other monitoring services, I'd like to see an announcement post with links to their public pages for the various servers. That provides an easy way for someone to see if their problem is the php file they just uploaded, a local connection issue, or if the server really is down. And it provides an "independent third party" verification that your servers are meeting the uptime you promise.

Heh ... just found this today, right after I posted this. Nothing like missing something prominent in the announcements forum!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...