MDDHosting Forums

Jasmine, Kobold, SR2, SR3 Reseller Account Transfers - Beginning 9 PM ET 03/02/2016

Hello!

We are going to begin the scheduled migration of the Jasmine, Kobold, SR2, and SR3 servers to the new hardware in approximately 30 minutes [9 PM ET].

I am in the process of sending out an email now with details including the new server name specific to your reseller account.

As this is a huge upgrade in both hardware and software you will want to advise your clients the mailing ports may have changed as well and may need updated to the following:
Incoming
IMAP - Port 993
POP3 - Port 995
Outgoing
SMTP - Port 465

We will update this thread with details as we have them during the migrations.

If you have any questions concerning the upgrades or the migration do let us know.

Just to double check, since there was no mention of IP changes in the Jasmine email, that means IPs will stay the same, right? Wasn't sure if that was still a possibility to come later.

Your IPs should not be changing as a part of the transfer.

Hi, just wanted to let you know we had a domain of a client that was using a remote mail server, and in the transfer process the MX records had being lost and reset to the local server (and our client was not happy about it). So be sure to check the MX records.

Hi, just wanted to let you know we had a domain of a client that was using a remote mail server, and in the transfer process the MX records had being lost and reset to the local server (and our client was not happy about it). So be sure to check the MX records.

I'm sorry to hear about that! The process should copy DNS records as-is. Please contact our support department so we can look into this further.

R2 was getting low on space so I added more space and rebooted the server [takes about 30 seconds] to bring the additional space online.

Unfortunately VMWare had the disks out of order and the system wouldn't boot. We had to go into the system bios and re-organize the disk drives and the system came back online and is operational.

We do not expect any issues as a result of this temporary outage but if you do have issues let us know.

These transfers are almost completed. There are approximately ~40 more accounts to copy.

Once those accounts are copied we will send out the 'transfer completed' email for the Kobold server users. SR2, SR3, and Jasmine have all been fully copied and updated via email.

If you have any generic questions about this transfer you can ask them here but if you are having issues or have account-specific questions please open a support ticket.

Thanks!

You guys are probably on this, but I too apparently lost custom DNS/MX servers on Kobold – a very grumpy client just called complaining their email is down :-(

Oh no! I do see there were a few clients where this happened. If you need any help correcting it, please open a ticket so we can investigate further and get it sorted out.

Me too! clients call me about mail service is down, even few clients who work with Google Apps Mail have response from Mail Delivery Subsystem about SMTP Authentication.

We are actively investigating and fixing a few similar cases. Please open a ticket so we can check into your accounts specifically.

All four servers: SR2, SR3, Jasmine, and Kobold have been migrated to their respective target servers.

As far as those that had MX entries disappear - the cause in every case so far is that the domain was set to 'LOCAL' or 'AUTO (Local)' via cPanel -> MX Entry.

In short people are editing their DNS zone and updating MX records or doing it via the MX Tool and not setting it to 'remote' when using remote mail.

We've written a script to check for this and correct it but unfortunately we can't go back into the past and fix it. Moving forward it shouldn't happen again.

This has affected a small portion of our customers - but I am sorry for those that it has affected.

Open a ticket if you're having issues and we'll address your issues as quickly as possible.

• Upvote 1

We've decided to suspend all accounts on the *old* servers in lieu of actually shutting them down. This will allow us to re-copy data for any stragglers easily while not letting cron jobs and other tasks run automatically on both the old and the new server.

Resellers will likely get some suspension notifications - if you look at it you will see the *old* server name listed and if you check the site you should see it online. In the event that you *do* end up with an account or site showing suspended this likely means you're one of the aforementioned stragglers and we'll need to re-copy your data :).

At any rate - if you have any problems do please open a support ticket so we can address it.

Thanks!